NBA Wednesday: Wizards vs. Suns leads value selections
Yesterday was a nightmare, but, as always after a bad day, it’s important to wipe it and avoid chasing your losses.
Suns (3-4) @ Wizards (4-2)
Scoring points hasn’t been the problem for the Suns; preventing them has. They’re 29th in opponent points, giving up 116.7 per game, and the last time they played in a back-to-back – like they are tonight – the Clippers put 130 on them and won by 42.
The Wizards could come close to putting up 130 points as well tonight. Averaging 111.7 points a night, Washington is ranked fourth in the league in points per game.
Tonight is the start of a seven-game stretch in which they play six games at home, most against below .500 opposition.
With a streak of winnable games starting tonight, I like the Wizards to cover at home for the first time this season (currently 0-2). There’s nobody on the Suns roster that can stop either John Wall or Bradley Beal, let alone both.
The Suns were a turnstile last night in their win over the Nets (27th in defensive rating), but the Wizards have a top-10 defensive rating and will put up a lot more resistance.
Pick: Wizards -13
Trail Blazers (4-3) @ Jazz (4-3)
The Jazz have the best home record in the NBA and are in the middle of a four-game homestand having already beaten the Lakers and Mavericks. They face a much tougher opposition in the Trail Blazers tonight, but with the line opening at -4, I like the Jazz to move to 5-0 against the spread at Vivint Home Smart Arena.
There’s no better defensive team in the league. Utah’s 98.5 defensive rating is good for third in the league, and they are first in opponent points at 93.1 per game.
The Jazz announce Joe Johnson will be out for at least two weeks with tendon instability in his wrist
— Tony Jones (@tribjazz) October 31, 2017
Portland has their dynamic duo of Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum on the perimeter getting them to 107.6 points per game (ninth), but they’ll be up against Ricky Rubio, Thabo Sefolosha and Donovan Mitchell; teams have struggled to score against that group so far this season. If they manage to get past them, either Rudy Gobert or Ekpe Udoh will be waiting at the rim.
The under looked like good value when it opened at at 197, but it has dropped to 191.5. The Jazz are 1-5-1 and the Blazers are 2-5 against the under to start 2017-18.
Pick: Jazz -3.5
Mavericks (1-7) @ Clippers (4-2)
I think we can stop doubting the Clippers now. Blake Griffin has this team going places on offense while DeAndre Jordan keeps holding things down defensively.
They match up really well against the Mavericks, with head-to-head matchups in the starting line up leaning heavily in the Clippers’ favor. We could tip Harrison Barnes over Danillo Galinari… but that may be the extend of Dallas’ edge in that department.
Clippers entered the night with league's best defensive rating: 92.8
Warriors plant 141 on them in best win of season
GSW record: 5-3
— Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) October 31, 2017
The Clippers were thrashed 141-113 by the Warriors on Sunday but tend to respond well the game after a big loss.
Against the spread, Los Angeles is:
- 5-1 following a straight up 10-plus points loss
- 5-1 after allowing more than 125 points in their previous game
- 6-2-1 following a double-digit loss at home
Griffin and the Clippers bounce back, and I like them to make a statement against the 1-7 Mavericks tonight.
Pick: Clippers -10
Hawks (1-6) @ 76ers (3-4)
- J.J. Redick is listed as day-to-day
- Hawks are 2-5 against the spread
- Hawks shoot 42.4 percent from the field (28th)
Pacers (3-3) @ Cavaliers (3-4)
- Pacers are playing the second night of a back-to-back
- Cavaliers have lost their last three
- Cavaliers are 1-6 against the spread
- Pacers are 5-2 against the spread
Bucks (4-3) @ Hornets (4-3)
- Bucks are playing the second night of a back-to-back
- Bucks shoot 48.3 percent from the field (third)
- Hornets average 51.4 total rebounds per game (first)
Kings (1-6) @ Celtics (5-2)
- Kings are playing the second night of a back-to-back
- Kings score 94.1 points per game (29th)
- Celtics have won five games in a row
- Celtics are 6-1 against the spread
Bulls (1-4) @ Heat (2-4)
- Hassan Whiteside is listed as questionable
- Goran Dragic is listed as probable
- Heat are 1-4-1 against the spread
- Bulls score 89.8 points per game (30th)
Timberwolves (4-3) @ Pelicans (3-4)
- Timberwolves score 109.4 points per game (sixth)
- Timberwolves opponents score 115.3 points per game (28th)
- Timberwolves are 6-0-1 against the over
- Pelicans opponents score 109.7 points per game (25th)
Magic (5-2) @ Grizzlies (5-2)
- Mike Conley is listed as questionable
- Jeff Green is out
- Both teams are 4-3 against the spread
- Grizzles opponents score 95.6 points per game (third)
- Magic score 116.9 points per game (second)
Rockets (5-3) @ Knicks (3-3)
- Rockets average 44 3-point attempts per game (first)
- Rockets are shooting 30.7 percent from the 3-point line (28th)
- Knicks average 25.5 3-point attempts per game (25th)
Raptors (4-2) @ Nuggets (3-4)
- Jonas Valanciunas is listed as probable
- Serge Ibaka is listed as probable
- Raptors are 5-1 against the spread
- Nuggets are 2-5 against the spread