NBA Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds (Friday, Jan. 3): Will Philly’s Road Woes Continue?
Photo credit: Michael Reaves/Getty Images. Pictured: Joel Embiid
This NBA season, I’m trying something new. I’m going to write a daily piece that highlights everything bettors and DFS players need to know for that night’s slate. For more on what to expect, read the inaugural piece.
Yesterday I finished 1-0 for +0.5 units. While I don’t want to get sucked into the past, I think it’s worth reviewing things each day.
The best way to do that is to look at closing line value (CLV), which is just measuring whether the line you bet moved for or against you by closing.
- I bet Grizzlies/Kings over 224.5 and it closed at 224.5 (won)
I’ve been off the last week or so due to some personal things, but I sincerely thank everyone who wrote kind words and asked about this piece. Knowing that people read it daily and it helps you makes me happy. I’m glad to be back.
Anyway, let’s dive into today’s slate and find some angles.
Note: For updates, see the chat at the bottom of this post.
- Overall: 155-121-2
- Spreads: 59-52-2
- Totals: 47-41
- Moneylines: 14-6
- Props: 29-22
Odds as of Friday afternoon and via FanDuel, where Action Network users get a risk-free bet up to $500.
Betting Odds and Analysis
- 7 p.m. ET: Portland Trail Blazers (-7) at Washington Wizards, 235
- 7 p.m. ET: Atlanta Hawks at Boston Celtics (-10.5), 223.5
- 7 p.m. ET: Miami Heat (-1.5) at Orlando Magic, 207.5
- 8 p.m. ET: Philadelphia 76ers at Houston Rockets (-4.5), 226.5
- 9 p.m. ET: New York Knicks at Phoenix Suns (-7.5), 225
- 10:30 p.m. ET: New Orleans Pelicans at LA Lakers (-10.5), 224.5
Let’s run through a couple angles I’m eyeing.
Heat at Magic
The Magic are coming off a blowout win, although it was hardly convincing, against a Wizards team without Davis Bertans and other key contributors. Prior to that, Orlando lost at home by eight to the lowly Hawks.