20 College Basketball Teams With Injury News Worth Noting for Bettors
Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images. Pictured: Buddy Boheim
Just another Saturday college basketball slate with countless injuries worth monitoring for bettors.
Here are 20 teams with impactful injury news I wanted to share for today.
Providence at Villanova (-7)
Villanova guard Collin Gillespie is a game-time decision with a deep thigh bruise. The junior is Nova’s second-leading scorer and tops the team in both assists and steals per game.
South Carolina at Alabama (-4.5)
It looks as if Alabama guard John Petty Jr. can’t go today. He’s officially listed as doubtful with an elbow injury. Petty averages over 15 points per game and leads the team in rebounds. The Tide will sorely miss his outside shooting as Petty has hit 45% of his shots from beyond the arc this season.
Arizona at UCLA (+3)
Arizona guard Josh Green (11.9 points per game) will sit out again today with a back injury and Max Hazzard (5.3 ppg) is listed as questionable. On the UCLA side, Prince Ali is also listed as questionable.
Penn State at Iowa (-4)
It looks like Iowa guard CJ Fredrick (10.7 ppg) will suit up today as he’s been dealing with an ankle injury. He should provide a nice boost for the Hawkeye offense.
For Penn State, second-leading scorer Myreon Jones is listed as questionable with an illness once again. The sophomore hasn’t played since Feb. 4.
Stony Brook at Albany (+1.5)
It appears that Stony Brook will once again be without star guard Elijah Olaniyi, who leads the team in points (18.9) and assists. The Seawolves’ offense just hasn’t been the same since he went down on Feb. 8 against New Hampshire.
North Carolina at Syracuse (-4.5)
Orange guard Buddy Boeheim is listed as a game-time decision with an ankle injury. Boeheim ranks second on the team at 15.0 points per game and his absence would hurt even more considering Syracuse’s lack of depth.
Meanwhile, Brandon Robinson (11.9 ppg) is listed as questionable for UNC. The Heels, who struggle from deep (336th in the country in 3P%), could really use his outside shooting today against the Syracuse zone.
Baylor at TCU (+7)
TCU guard RJ Nembhard (second-leading scorer) is a game-time decision with a groin injury. With Francisco Farabello already ruled out with a concussion, TCU could be very shorthanded at point guard if Nembhard can’t go.
St. Bonaventure at LaSalle (+4)
It was announced earlier this week that LaSalle’s Ed Croswell was leaving the program. Croswell leads the team in rebounds and ranks second in rebounding average. Big loss for the Explorers.
Lehigh at Loyola Maryland (-6.5)
Four-year senior guard Andrew Kostecka left early last game with what looked like an ugly ankle injury. I haven’t seen any update but he was seen in a boot and crutches in the second half of that game against Navy.
Kostecka leads the team with 19.9 points per game. It’s just not the same offense without him running the show.
George Washington at VCU (-12.5)
VCU will have to end its five-game losing streak today a bit undermanned. Starting point guard Marcus Evans remains sidelined with an MCL injury, as does reserve forward Corey Douglas. Backup guard Vince Williams (4.2 ppg) is listed as questionable.
Others worth noting
- Butler (-8 vs. Depaul) looks as if it will have the services of both starting guards today as both Kamar Baldwin (ankle) and Aaron Thompson (wrist) are listed as probable.
- Cornell forward Jimmy Boeheim, who leads Cornell in both scoring (17.3 ppg) and rebounding (5.9 rpg) is listed as questionable — as is Jordan Jones (7.3 ppg).
- Guard Jose Alvarado, who averages 14.0 points per game and leads the team in assists and steals, is listed as questionable today for Georgia Tech (-5.5 vs. Miami) after leaving last game with an arm injury. I expect him to go.
- Portland (+11 at Santa Clara) could be without leading-scorer Isaiah White once again. The senior guard is listed as questionable with an ankle injury that has kept him out of the past two games.
- Texas A&M Corpus Christi (-8.5 vs. Incarnate Word) could be missing its leading rebounder today as Jashawn Talton-Thomas is listed as questionable. He also averages 10.3 points per game.
- Rylan Jones is questionable today for Utah (-1 at Cal). Jones leads the team in assists and is second in scoring.
- Javon Freeman-Liberty, who leads Valpo (+5 at Indiana State) in points (19.3), rebounds (6.0) and steals (2.2) is listed as doubtful with mono. Valpo got a win at Missouri State last time out without the do-everything sophomore guard.
- Fordham (+4 at St. Joe’s) may be without leading rebounder Onyi Eyisi today. He’s listed as questionable.