- With the 2019 NFL Draft a little over one week away, it's time to update The Action Network Round 1 Mock Draft.
- Matthew Freedman breaks down each Day 1 pick and has quarterback Kyler Murray as his top overall selection.
The draft is less than two weeks, and for the first time ever it will be held in Nashville, TN.
Here’s the schedule for the seven rounds.
- Thursday, April 25: Round 1
- Friday, April 26: Rounds 2-3
- Saturday, April 27: Rounds 4-7
In this piece, I run through my updated Round 1 projections. I haven’t included any potential trades in this mock draft, but I’ll do so when I release my final mock next week.
1. Arizona Cardinals
Kyler Murray (Oklahoma), Quarterback
- Height: 5’10” | Weight: 207 pounds
- 2019 Age: 22 | Class: Redshirt Junior
Murray was one of my combine winners thanks to his verified size, and he fits the offensive system of new head coach Kliff Kingsbury, who before he was hired said that he thought Murray was worthy of the first overall pick.
The Heisman Trophy winner led the nation with his 13.0 adjusted yards per pass attempt last season, and Baker Mayfield’s rookie success shows that an undersized spread-system quarterback can play in the NFL.
It’s not ideal for the Cardinals to select quarterbacks in the top 10 for two years in a row, but they should be able to offload Josh Rosen, who did little in 2018 (albeit in poor circumstances) to suggest that he’s superior to Murray.
Recently, there have been rumors that the Cardinals aren’t 100% sold on Murray and that he might slide out of the top spot. I’m not buying the noise.
Teams without a viable quarterback struggle in the NFL, and Murray looks like an upgrade on Rosen.
I expect Murray to be a top-two pick.
2. San Francisco 49ers
Nick Bosa (Ohio State), Edge
- Height: 6’4″ | Weight: 266 pounds
- 40-yard dash: 4.79 seconds
- 2019 Age: 22 | Class: Junior
The 49ers have needs all over the roster, and just two months ago Bosa was the frontrunner for the No. 1 pick at -200 odds. He’s a pro-ready prospect with the athleticism and skill set to be an All-Pro pass rusher within a few seasons.
In maybe only one mock draft have I seen him outside of the top two.
3. New York Jets
Quinnen Williams (Alabama), Defensive Tackle
- Height: 6’3″ | Weight: 303 pounds
- 40-yard dash: 4.83 seconds
- 2019 Age: 22 | Class: Redshirt Sophomore
Williams is highly unlikely to be selected No. 1 overall, but he’s the top player in the class, and the Jets have needs on the defensive line.
Williams led the nation with his 96.0 overall Pro Football Focus grade in 2018. He also led all linemen in defensive stops and quarterback pressures.
He can anchor against the run with his size, and he can get to the passer with his athleticism. The Jets are fortunate to land Williams, who could be an interior force on the defense for a decade.
4. Oakland Raiders
Josh Allen (Kentucky), Edge
- Height: 6’5″ | Weight: 262 pounds
- 40-yard dash: 4.63 seconds
- 2019 Age: 22 | Class: Senior
Another year, another guy named “Josh Allen” selected near the top of the draft.
Allen put up great numbers in 2018 with 17 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss, and he flashed good athleticism at the combine. In almost every mock draft I’ve seen, the Bednarik Award and Nagurski Trophy winner is a top-four selection.