Chargers Odds, Win Total, Projected Spreads For Every 2019 Game, More
Photo credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Philip Rivers
Los Angeles Chargers Betting Odds
- Win total: Over 10 (even)/Under 10 (-120)
- Odds to win the AFC West: +220
- Odds to make the AFC Playoffs: -200
- Odds to win the AFC Championship: 7-1
- Odds to win the Super Bowl: 14-1
The 2018 Chargers had their best season in a decade, finishing with 12 wins and making it to the Divisional Round of the playoffs.
What are realistic expectations for Philip Rivers and the Chargers in 2019?
I’ve compared their win total to my projections and set early spreads for all 16 of their games below.
Note: All odds via Westgate and as of Friday, August 30.
My Win Total Projection: 9.6
A few books, including Westgate, bumped this total up to 10, so if you have access to Under 10, that would be ideal. The Chargers get a D- grade in my model, mostly due to their 5-1 record in one-score games last year.
On paper, I feel like they are one of the more complete teams on both sides of the ball; I have them ranked inside the top five of my power ratings. But betting the over on season win totals for good teams typically isn’t going to net you a profit. Bookmakers and bettors are typically aware of what teams should be contenders and that is already factored into the price.
The angle to the under here is the Chargers’ lack of a true home field advantage and regression in one-score games. They currently play at a 27,000-seat soccer stadium where half the crowd typically shows up rooting for the away team. They are going to have to remain lucky in almost every metric I measure in order to clear 10+ wins again this year.
One word of caution before running to bet Under 10: With Andrew Luck’s retirement, the Chargers moved from 3-point to 7-point favorites against the Colts in Week 1, which makes me like the under a bit less.
Projected Spreads For Every Game
- Week 1 vs. Colts: Chargers -7
- Week 2 at Lions: Chargers -2.5
- Week 3 vs. Texans: Chargers -5
- Week 4 at Dolphins: Chargers -7.5
- Week 5 vs. Broncos: Chargers -7
- Week 6 vs. Steelers: Chargers -5
- Week 7 at Titans: Chargers -1
- Week 8 at Bears: Chargers +1
- Week 9 vs. Packers: Chargers -4
- Week 10 at Raiders: Chargers -4
- Week 11 vs. Chiefs: Chargers +2
- Week 13 at Broncos: Chargers -2
- Week 14 at Jaguars: Chargers pick’em
- Week 15 vs. Vikings: Chargers -4.5
- Week 16 vs. Raiders: Chargers -9
- Week 17 at Chiefs: Chargers +4.5