Kyler Murray Fantasy Football Analysis with Cardinals
Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Kyler Murray
- See Matthew Freedman's fantasy football analysis for quarterback Kyler Murray, who was drafted No. 1 overall by the Arizona Cardinals.
Kyler Murray Fantasy Football Analysis
- Height: 5’10” | Weight: 207 pounds
- School: Oklahoma | Class: Redshirt Junior
- 2019 age: 22 | Draft position: No. 1 overall
It’s no surprise that Murray was drafted first overall. From a betting perspective, we have been bullish on him for months.
- Jan. 11: Murray to be a Round 1 pick, etc.
- Jan. 14: Murray to throw an NFL pass before recording an MLB hit
- Feb. 13: Murray to be No. 1 overall pick, etc.
- March 4: Murray to be a top-two pick
When it comes to fantasy, we’re just as optimistic about his future. Murray and Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury were seemingly made for each other: They’ve had a relationship since Murray was a sophomore in high school.
Entering the combine, there were doubts about Murray’s size, but he measured in with a Russell Wilson-esque physique and saw his draft stock soar. Although just last summer he was selected with a top-10 pick in the MLB draft and was expected to play baseball professionally after the 2018 season, he is now easily the top fantasy quarterback in the class.
Last year, the Heisman Trophy winner led the nation with 13.0 adjusted yards per pass attempt, and he flashed elite athleticism in running for 1,001 yards and 12 touchdowns. With his Konami Code rushing upside, Murray could develop into a high-end fantasy starter sooner rather than later.
At a minimum, Murray is likely to be a high-end streamer in seasonal leagues as a rookie. In dynasty, Murray continues to move up my draft board: I won’t be surprised if he settles into the top half of the first round of rookie drafts. He has the true potential to be a plug-and-play option for a decade.
NFL Comp: Michael Vick with a better arm