Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Mitch Trubisky
- Mitch Trubisky was a top 10 fantasy football quarterback last season despite his underwhelming passing results.
- Could he be primed for a Year 3 breakout in 2019? Ian Hartitz analyzes whether Trubisky could be a league-winning QB.
We’re in the thick of the NFL offseason and it’s officially time to start fantasy football prep. I’ll be answering the biggest questions heading into the 2019 season; this is part of that series.
The Bears exceeded expectations in 2018, winning their first NFC North crown since 2010. Their offense (No. 9) and defense (No. 1) ranked among the league’s top-10 scoring units behind the leadership of franchise cornerstones Mitch Trubisky and Khalil Mack.
Trubisky will be our focal point in this article. His second NFL season was exceptionally better than his first, although questions still persist regarding whether he’s a true difference-making talent or perhaps a sum-of-parts quarterback.
Let’s breakdown just how good Trubisky was in 2018 as well as whether we should expect real-life and/or fantasy success from him in 2019.
Trubisky Was Playing at a High Level Before Injury
The Bears rolled to a 7-3 start in 2018 thanks in large part to Trubisky’s penchant for mixing in game-changing performances alongside his less-than-stellar outings.
Trubisky limped to a QB23 finish in Weeks 14-17 upon returning from injury, but he does deserve credit for at least overcoming the elements when it mattered by clearing 300 passing yards during the Bears’ wild-card loss to the Eagles.
The Bears haven’t really ever had consistent quarterback play, so Trubisky’s progress was mostly welcome with open arms. Still, he’ll need to improve even more to cement his status as an above-average passer.
- Yards per attempt: 7.4 (17th among 32 QBs with at least eight starts in 2018)
- Adjusted yards per attempt: 7.3 (18th)
- Completion rate: 66.6% (13th)
- Touchdown rate: 5.5% (11th)
- Interception rate: 2.8% (23rd)
- QB rating: 95.4 (15th)
The reason why Trubisky was able to function as a top 10 fantasy quarterback despite his underwhelming passing results is because…