The Action Network Appoints Noah Szubski CEO and Matt Restivo CPO
The Action Network Bolsters Executive Roster: Appoints Noah Szubski CEO & Names Matt Restivo Chief Product Officer
Seasoned Executives to Lead The Chernin Group Backed Sports Analysis and Media Company as Company Rapidly Builds Platform and Network of Featured Talent
NEW YORK, NY – May 7, 2018 – The Action Network, a premium sports analysis and media company founded by The Chernin Group that caters to the $170 billion+ underserved sports wagering and fantasy markets, today announced that veteran media executives Noah Szubski and Matt Restivo have joined the company as Chief Executive Officer and Chief Product Officer, respectively.
Identifying a significant opportunity in the exploding speculation and analytics market, The Action Network brings a unique lens to the world of sports. The company mixes premium content, proprietary tools and in-depth analysis to make sports fans with something at stake smarter about betting. The Action Network is currently growing and developing its mobile app and browser-based experiences through an offering of best-in-market editorial coverage, coupled with live scores, odds and bet tracking.
“We are excited to welcome Noah to serve as CEO of The Action Network,” said Mike Kerns, President of Digital at The Chernin Group. “Through the process we were all impressed by the combination of his passion for this opportunity, and domain expertise of building digital media businesses. Noah’s success at MailOnline (DailyMail) leading product, partnerships and growth marketing represents a perfect match to the editorial and technical talent at the company.”
Szubski, who joins The Action Network from MailOnline (DailyMail), will oversee and advance the company’s rapidly growing platform as well as manage and grow its high-profile team. Following its launch in January of this year, The Action Network now generates 20-30 articles per day, as well as six podcasts per week, all featuring credible and conversational storytelling focused on sports wagering.
Restivo joins the company from BAMTECH Media where he was most recently the General Manager of ESPN+. He is charged with building consumer experiences across all digital platforms, as well as managing and growing the subscription business.
Szubski stated, “I couldn’t be more thrilled to be joining The Action Network, bringing my expertise in digital products, audience growth and content distribution. The opportunity to work with and lead such an immensely talented and hardworking team is very exciting, as no one is better positioned in the market to give sports fans, and those who have something at stake with the game, the experience and insight they’ve been looking for.”
While at MailOnline (DailyMail) Szubski, served as Chief Product Officer and owned product development and digital strategy for the mobile, tablet and core browser-based products for one of the world’s largest media companies. At MailOnline, he led the platform partnership growth and success across its top global partners and initiatives, including Snapchat Discover, Facebook & Instant Articles, Google & Google AMP, and Apple News. Prior to MailOnline, Szubski served as Vice President of Digital for Playboy Enterprises, where he was responsible for creating, managing and growing revenue-based products, franchises and opportunities across the Playboy digital landscape.
Restivo brings with him a history of building, launching and scaling direct to consumer services, such as NHL.TV and NHL Premium, a low-cost service he launched at BAMTECH that allows fans to watch the most important moments during live games. Previously, Restivo served in various product and engineering roles for ESPN.
In addition to Szubski and Restivo’s appointments, The Action Network has been actively building out its strong team of featured talent, which today includes:
- Paul Lo Duca, the 10-year MLB catcher for the Dodgers, Marlins, Mets and Nationals, and four-time All-Star, serves as an analyst for the company across all of its platforms. Since retiring from MLB, Lo Duca has been a horse racing commentator for TVG and the New York Racing Association.
- Geoff Schwartz, the veteran former NFL lineman covers the NFL for The Action Network in addition to his work covering the league and the Pac 12 for SiriusXM. After his NFL career, Schwartz began dabbling in betting and now uses his skills to study film and find edges in the Vegas numbers.
- Jason Sobel, who over the past 20 years has established himself as the premier golf reporter of his generation, covers golf for The Action Network. Sobel spent most of his career at ESPN, and also reported for The Golf Channel. His work has garnered him four Emmy® Awards and eight awards from the Golf Writers Association.
- Chris Raybon, one of the most respected Daily Fantasy analysts in media. The former accountant with a passion for numbers became a writer for 4for4 and SI.com and is known for being well-versed in the nuance of on-the-field breakdowns and advanced metrics across all sports.
- BlackJack Fletcher, a columnist for The Action Network, left his career as a lawyer to enter Barstool Sports’ intern contest in the fall of 2017. He beat the competition with his mix of audacious claims, deep understanding of analytics and wise guy wins.
- Matt Moore, whose NBA blog Hardwood Paroxysm helped pioneer content that combines deep film study and next-level numbers, is a basketball columnist for The Action Network. He spent seven years at CBS Sports before joining The Action Network in January of 2017.
The formation of this robust team of executives and sports media talent follows the official establishment of The Action Network in October 2017, which saw veteran sports media executive Chad Millman join as Head of Media.
ABOUT THE CHERNIN GROUP
The Chernin Group, LLC (TCG) is a privately held, independent media holding company founded by Peter Chernin and based in Los Angeles, California. TCG has built, managed, operated, and invested in businesses in the media, entertainment, and technology sectors around the world since 2010. TCG’s assets include Chernin Entertainment, which produces feature films and television programs; Otter Media, an online video venture with AT&T which oversees a portfolio of businesses including Fullscreen Media, Ellation, Crunchyroll, Gunpowder & Sky, and Hello Sunshine; TCG Digital, which acquires and invests in companies in the digital media sector such as Headspace, Barstool Sports, The Action Network, The Athletic, Scopely, Stadium Goods, and VoiceLabs; and CA Media, which operates media and entertainment businesses in India and Indonesia. Providence Equity Partners LLC, Qatar Holding LLC, 1Verge (investment vehicle of Victor Koo, founding CEO of Youku and Chengwei Capital), Sumitomo and other investors are shareholders and strategic partners of TCG.