European Soccer Forecast: Projected Odds, Totals for Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1 (Dec. 22-23)
David S. Bustamante/Soccrates/Getty Images. Pictured: Karim Benzema
The busiest time in the European soccer calendar continues this week as Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1 press on with a slew of midweek fixtures. Here’s a snapshot of what we saw over the weekend from the major five European leagues:
- Liverpool hung seven goals on Crystal Palace to remain atop the Premier League standings.
- Leicester City upset Tottenham, 2-0, on the road, moving them up to second place in the table.
- Union Berlin upset Dortmund, 2-1, to drop Dortmund out of the top four in the Bundesliga table.
- Robert Lewandowski scored a 93rd-minute winner against Bayer Leverkusen to send Bayern Munich to the top of the Bundesliga.
- Lille drew with PSG at home 0-0 to maintain the top spot in Ligue 1.
- AC Milan beat Sassuolo 2-1 on the road to maintain first place in the Serie A table.
The Premier League doesn’t have any midweek matches scheduled and the Bundesliga is off until the New Year, but the other three major European Leagues are back at it starting on Tuesday.
This will be their fourth match in the last two weeks for most of these clubs, so managers will rotate their squads to rest certain players. Therefore, it may be a good idea to wait until starting lineups come out before heading to the window.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines, and follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Serie A Notes:
- Juventus vs. Fiorentina: Juventus are starting to find their form, winning three of their last four matches. The nine-time defending champs are unbeaten through their first thirteen matches of the season and have won five of their last six matches against Fiorentina. Fiorentina has fallen on hard times, as their last win came on Oct. 25.
- AC Milan vs. Lazio: AC Milan looks to maintain their top spot in the Serie A table when they battle eighth-place Lazio. Lazio are red hot on the road this season, winning three of their last four away from home. AC Milan are unbeaten so far this season and has won nine of their first thirteen matches.
Serie A Injury News
- AC Milan: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (ST) is out against Lazio.
- Bologna: Riccardo Orsolini (RM) is out against Atalanta.
- Crotone: Luca Cigarini (CM) is questionable to face Parma.
- Genoa: Cristian Zapata (CB) is questionable to face Spezia.
- Inter: Alexis Sanchez (LW) is questionable to face Verona.
- Juventus: Paulo Dybala (CF) and Arthur (CM) are questionable to play against Fiorentina.
- Lazio: Luca Leiva (CM) is questionable to face Napoli.
- Napoli: Victor Osimhen (ST) and Dries Mertens (CF) are questionable to face Torino.
- Sampdoria: Manuel Gabbiadini (CAM) is out against Sassuolo.
- Udinese: Rodrigo De Paul (CM) is out against Benevento.
- Verona: Nikola Kalinic (ST) is questionable to face Inter.
La Liga Notes:
- Real Sociedad vs. Atletico Madrid: Real Sociedad have relinquished the top spot in La Liga to Atletico Madrid, who have won eight of their last nine matches in La Liga. Real Sociedad are winless in their last five matches.
La Liga Injuries:
- Atletico Madrid: Jose Gimenez (CB) is out against Real Sociedad.
- Barcelona: Gerard Pique (CB) is questionable and Sergi Roberto (RB) and Ansu Fati (LW) are out against Real Valladolid.
- Cadiz: Jose Mari (CM) is questionable to face Real Betis.
- Getafe: Mathias Olivera (LB) is out against Celta Vigo.
- Granada: Maxime Gonalons (CM) is out against Real Madrid.
- Real Betis: Guido Rodriguez (CM) and Emerson (RB) are out. Sergio Canales (CM) is questionable to face Cadiz.
- Real Madrid: Isco (CAM) is questionable to face Granada.
- Real Sociedad: David Silva (CAM) and Adnan Januzaj (LM) are questionable to face Atletico Madrid.
- Sevilla: Jesus Navas (RB) is questionable to face Real Valladolid.
- Valencia: Jasper Cillessen (GK) is questionable to face Sevilla.
- Villarreal: Francis Coquelin (CM) is questionable to face Athletic Bilbao.
Ligue 1 Injury News:
- Angers: Sada Thioub (RM), Angelo Fuigini (CAM), Ibrahim Amadou (CM), Rachid Alioui (CM), and Sofiane Boufal (LM) are all questionable to face Marseille.
- Bordeaux: Laurent Koscielny (CB) is out against Reims.
- Lille: Renato Sanches (CM) is out against Montpellier.
- Monaco: Cesc Fabregas (CM) is questionable to play against Saint-Etienne.
- Nice: Kasper Dolberg (ST) are questionable to play against Lorient.
- Nimes: Loick Landre (CB), Lucas Deaux (CM), Anthony Briancon (CB), and Birger Meling (LB) are all questionable to face Dijon.
- PSG: Neymar (CF), Presnel Kimpembe (CB), and Mauro Icardi (ST) are all out against Strasbourg.
- Reims: Xavier Chavalerin (CM) is questionable to face Nantes.
- Rennes: Faitout Maouassa (LB), Alfred Gomis (GK), Romain Del Castillo (RW), and Daniele Rugani (CB) are questionable to face Metz.
- Saint Etienne: Panagiotis Retsos (CB) is questionable to face Monaco.