USA Favorites to Repeat as Champions at 2019 Women’s World Cup
Kyle Terada – USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: September 4, 2018; San Jose, CA, USA; Team USA midfielder Carli Lloyd (10) is congratulated after scoring a goal against Chile during the second half in an international friendly soccer match at Avaya Stadium. Team USA defeated Chile 4-0.
- After an incredible 2018 Men's World Cup, soccer fans and bettors don't have to wait long for the 2019 Women's World Cup, which kicks off June 7, 2019 in France.
- USA are the +350 co-favorites to hoist the trophy for the fourth time in eight World Cup tournaments, and have been drawn into a group with Sweden, Thailand and Chile.
Soccer fans won’t have to wait long for another big tournament as the 2019 Women’s World Cup kicks off on June 7, 2019 in France. There will be 24 teams competing in nine cities.
USA are the defending champions and have been drawn into a group with Sweden, Chile and Thailand. The top two teams in each of the six groups will advance to the knockout round, as will the four best third-place teams.
— FIFA Women’s World Cup 🇫🇷 (@FIFAWWC) December 8, 2018
USA, Brazil, Germany, Japan, Nigeria, Norway and Sweden have qualified for all eight Women’s World Cups.
Chile, Scotland, Jamaica and South Africa will be making their first appearance.
France are the hosts of the tournament and will play Norway, South Korea and Nigeria in the group stage, a rather difficult draw.
2019 Women’s World Cup Odds
- USA are the +350 co-favorites to repeat as champions, very similar to their odds (+300) before the 2015 tournament.
- France and Germany are their most formidable opponents, listed at +350 and +550 odds, respectively, but England have made the biggest move from 11-1 to 7-1.
- Japan, runners-up in 2015, have drifted up to 16-1 after opening 9-1.
- Jamaica (1000-1) and Thailand (2000-1) are the biggest longshots to win the World Cup.
- I bet USA at +350 but also placing a small wager on Netherlands (+1500), as they’re a very intriguing dark horse with the talent and star power to win it all.
Women’s World Cup Previous Winners and Runners-up
- Only four nations have won the Women’s World Cup which was founded in 1991.
- Germany are the only back-to-back winners, but USA have three titles.
- Norway and Japan are the only other winners.
- Three of the seven World Cup Finals needed extra time or penalties to determine a winner (2011, 2003, 1999).
- Seven different countries have lost in the World Cup Final.