PromoGuy’s Vegas Fantasy Football Rankings, Week 3: Vikings Get Big Bump vs. Lions
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images. Pictured: Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins.
A few weeks ago, we debuted Vegas-style fantasy football rankings.
We used season-long prop lines for each player to project fantasy points, using the wisdom-of-the-crowds approach embedded in betting markets to find players undervalued and overvalued by fantasy experts.
For example: if a receiver was listed at 75 catches, 1,100 yards and 6.5 TDs in season-long props, he would be projected for 224 fantasy points in full PPR.
We'll be doing the same on a game-by-game basis, using props from that week's games to create fantasy rankings. While you'll be starting most of the players listed anyway, these rankings can be a good way to find DFS value or make tough lineup decisions early in the season.
Here's how things shook out for quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers for Week 2 using standard scoring, with some notes below.
- Kirk Cousins is all the way up to QB5 in a juicy matchup against a soft Lions defense.
- Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are well outside of starting range.
- David Montgomery is up to RB No. 8 in PPR as the Bears have pretty much abandoned their passing game.
- Javonte Williams has dropped to RB No. 16 vs. the 49ers; the entire Broncos offense has been bumped down.
- Things look pretty normal at wide receiver, with Justin Jefferson No. 1 and Cooper Kupp No. 2. The prop market had Kupp first last week, but Jefferson's matchup gives him a bump in standard formats.
- Tyler Lockett is also a surprise standout at No. 12 in PPR coming off a big game last week.
- Tyler Higbee is the big riser, from basically undrafted in season-long leagues to a top 40 option at WR/TE, one spot ahead of George Kittle, who is set to return and play his first game of the season.