How Do FanDuel’s No-Sweat Bets Work?
Photo Illustration by Pavlo Gonchar/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
There’s a lot of promotional lingo tossed around in sports betting.
Free bets. No-sweat bets. Deposit match. Odds boost.
We’ve already broken down each different sportsbook bonus, but we’re going to dive deeper into FanDuel’s no-sweat bet promotion below.
The $1,000 no-sweat first bet new user signup promotion is the big one, but FanDuel also offers smaller no-sweat bets to existing users throughout the year, like a $25 no-sweat same game parlay on Thursday Night Football.
FanDuel’s No-Sweat First Bet, Explained
FanDuel moved away from the “risk-free bet” language because these promotions are not truly risk free. You can lose some or all of your initial deposit, if you’re not careful.
At FanDuel, here’s how the no-sweat first-bet signup offer works:
- Sign-up with this link.
- Deposit anywhere from $10 to $1,000.
- Make your first bet with your full deposit amount (as much as $1,000, but it can be less).
- If it wins, you keep the original cash you bet and the winnings.
- If it loses, you get free bets back equal to the amount you bet.
- The free bets expire in 14 days, so use them quick
That’s why it’s not truly risk-free — you’re not getting cash back if you lose that first bet. You’re getting back free bets, which cannot be withdrawn and must be wagered to turn into real cash.
- If the Chargers win, I keep the original $1,000 and profit another $1,700 (because the line was +170).
- If the Chargers lose, I get $1,000 back in free bets.
- I then place $500 worth of free bets on the Vikings +120 against the Eagles, and they lose.
- I place another $500 in free bets on Panthers +115 against the Giants, and they win.
I won’t recoup the initial $500 stake from the winning Panthers bet, but I do win $575.
So now on a $1,000 deposit, I have $575 to show for it in my account. That’s a loss of $425.
Here’s a very crude flowchart to help walk you through it.
The good thing is FanDuel lets you spread out free bets across any bets you want, so it’s difficult to lose your entire deposit, even if you lose that initial bet.
So How Do Free Bets Work Exactly?
A free bet cannot be withdrawn for cash, but can be bet on just about anything. If your free bet wins, it becomes real cash in your account.
Free bets at FanDuel are better than at many other sportsbooks.
That’s because you can wager any increment of the free bet and don’t have to bet it all at once. If I have $100 in free bets, but only want to bet $5 on an NFL game, I can choose to just bet $5.
Just toggle the free bet switch on and enter your bet amount. It will deduct from your total.
Here’s an example.
I bet $25 on FanDuel’s no-sweat bet in NFL Week 1 between the Broncos and Seahawks on Monday Night Football — Tyler Lockett to score a touchdown, +260.
Lockett didn’t score, so I got $25 back in free bets. But I don’t have to spend the entire $25 in one free bet — I bet $5 on a live MLB game, $5 on Florida State vs. Louisville and $15 on Chargers vs. Chiefs in Week 2.