Best Online Sportsbooks in PAGo Back to See All the States
Pennsylvania Sports Betting Sites & Apps
- Barstool Sportsbook. It will also have a big presence in Pennsylvania because its new parent company, Penn National, owns several casinos in the state. The book is shooting for a fall 2020 launch.
- FanDuel. FanDuel began testing its sports betting product in Pennsylvania on July 22. The product will be very similar to the experience in New Jersey, where FanDuel has established itself as one of the primary players.
- DraftKings The DFS behemoth turned its attention to Pennsylvania shortly after successfully launching in New Jersey.
- BetRivers Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh is associated with SugarHouse, which operates in New Jersey. But BetRivers is the company's PA brand.
- Parx Casino Parx Casino in Philadelphia joined SugarHouse and Rivers on June 24 as the only online sports betting sites in Pennsylvania.
- Fox Bet Shortly after launching in New Jersey, Fox Bet turned its attention to Pennsylvania.
- Unibet. European book Unibet also has a presence in New Jersey.
How Pennsylvania Sports Betting Compares
We graded Pennsylvania on its sports betting bill and experience relative to other states.
Mobile Betting Options: B
Pennsylvania's high barrier of entry due to a one-time $10 million license fee, plus a 36% tax rate for operators, makes it an undesirable market for a lot of smaller players in the space. Colorado is seeing rapid expansion with innovative Nevada sportsbooks Circa and Westgate entering their markets.
We won't see that in PA -- only the richest operators who can afford to lose money for a while will enter right now, or books tied to existing casinos.
Despite heavy casino influence in the state, Pennsylvania did the right thing and allows for online sign ups and deposits. That gives sports bettors more betting options, since they can sign up for a handful of different sportsbooks with ease.
Fair Pricing: B+
There's nothing egregious in Pennsylvania's pricing (like Tennessee's), but with only about half a dozen sportsbooks in the market, you won't be able to line shop quite as effectively.
Pennsylvania fortunately did not go the New Jersey route by banning betting on college teams from the state. That would have eliminated about 5% of the college football card per week, and as much as 10% of the card on a busy college basketball Saturday.
PA sportsbooks can't offer everything an unregulated offshore book can, but as new U.S. states go, Pennsylvania bettors will be happy with their betting options.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting Rules
Here are the sports betting rules specific to Pennsylvania you need to know.
(1) Age Requirements: In order to place a legal sports wager in Pennsylvania you must be 21 years of age.
(2) College Sports Betting: Sports bettors can wager on all professional and college sports in Pennsylvania.
This includes college teams based inside the state.
So don’t worry, you can still bet on Penn State, Pitt, Temple and St. Joseph’s.
(3) No High School Sports: Bettors in PA cannot wager on high school athletics.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting FAQ
Is sports betting legal in PA?
Can I bet online in Pennsylvania?
How old do I have to be to bet in Pennsylvania?
Do you have to pay taxes on sports betting in PA?
Is DraftKings sportsbook legal in PA?
Is Bovada legal in Pennsylvania?
Sports Betting for PA Beginners
If you’re new to sports betting, you likely have questions: How much should you be betting on the Eagles? Where should you be betting on the Flyers win totals? How do you find the best odds for each Pirates game?
Action's 11 sports betting tips for beginners can help you make savvier decisions come gametime.
Sports Betting Glossary
Sports betting comes with its own language and terminology -- favorites and underdogs, spreads and money lines, over/unders and props, and so much more.
It can all be a bit overwhelming and intimidating for newer bettors, so be sure to consult our sports betting glossary for detailed definitions on all the main terms.
Sports Betting Mistakes to Avoid
Whether you’re betting on the 76ers game totals or Penguins futures, sports betting isn't easy. It’s important to stay disciplined and not overextend yourself.
There will always be ups and downs, but if you stay true to our nine mistakes to avoid, your sports betting experience will be a much more enjoyable one.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting Timeline
|Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course||Hollywood Sportsbook||Grantville|
|Rivers Casino Pittsburgh||Rivers||Pittsburgh|
|South Philadelphia Turf Club||N/A||Philadelphia|
|Harrah's Philadelphia Casino and Racetrack||Harrah's||Chester|
|Valley Forge Casino Resort||FanDuel||Prussia|
|Valley Forge Turf Club||Parx||Oaks|
Pennsylvania Teams to Bet on
Division I Football & Basketball
Division I Basketball Only
Pro Sports Teams
There are tons of other professional and minor league teams based in Pennsylvania, but sportsbooks don't offer lines for them very often.
For more on Pennsylvania’s biggest, beloved sporting teams and venues:
- The Eagles (Football): Traditionally, the Eagles preseason begins in August with the regular season running from September to the Super Bowl in early February. The Eagles play at Lincoln Financial Field in South Philadelphia.
- The 76ers (Basketball): The 76er Preseason kicks off in October, with the regular season stretching from November to April's NBA playoffs. “Sixers” home games are played at the Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia.
- The Flyers (Hockey): The Flyers regular season tuns from April to the spring Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Flyers also play at Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia.
- The Phillies (Baseball): The Phillies season runs rom April to the World Series in late October. Phillies home games are played at Citizens Bank Park in South Philadelphia.
- The Union (Soccer): The regular Union season runs from March to the MLS Cup in late November. Union home games are played at Subaru Park in Chester, PA.
An exciting, down-the-road sporting event in the State of Pennsylvania will be the 2016 MLB All-Star Game in 2026.
Philadelphia will host the 2026 MLB All-Star Game and accompanying All-Star Week events.