Best Online Sportsbooks in New JerseyGo Back to See All the States
New Jersey's Latest Sports Betting Highlights
New Jersey Sets U.S. Record for Monthly Sports Betting TotalOctober 15, 2020
New Jersey sportsbooks took over $748 million in legal sports wagering for the month of September, a new record both for the state and for any state in the U.S. The total beat New Jersey's previous record, set in August, by 12%, with over 90% of the total bet online. New Jersey has now surpassed $3.2 billion in sports wagering in 2020, even amidst pandemic.
New York Giants (DraftKings) and Philadelphia Eagles (FOX Bet) Announce Sports Betting PartnershipsSeptember 16, 2020
The New York Giants became the first NJ-based professional sports team to enter into a sports betting partnership by agreeing to a deal with sportsbook operator DraftKings. DraftKings will get the rights to Giants trademarks and logos along with branding rights at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. The Philadelphia Eagles announced a similar partnership deal with FOX Bet.
Sporttrade Announces Licensing Partnership with Twin RiverAugust 25, 2020
Philadelphia-based sports betting company Sporttrade announced a licensing partnership with Twin River Worldwide Holdings, a step toward the nation's first regulated sports betting exchange in the state of New Jersey. Twin River will need to complete its acquisition of Bally's Atlantic City Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, NJ, next.
BetMGM Promo Code & Bonus Offer
BetMGM is coming to the table with a terrific offer that’s easy to understand and easy to take advantage of: You get a 100% deposit match up to $500. Whatever you deposit, between $10 and $ 500, will be matched INSTANTLY in bonus funds. All you have to do is roll the bonus funds over two times ($1,000 if your bonus is $500) before they’re turned into cash, which can then be withdrawn.
Action BetMGM Review & Rating: 9.2 out of 10. One benefit of having a BetMGM account is the ease with which deposits and withdrawals are made. Bettors will also be pleased to see their daily odds boosts, which provide an easy edge if you’re having trouble finding one in normal markets. [Read our full BetMGM review here]
PointsBet Sportsbook Promo Code & Bonus Offer
PointsBet offers a tiered deposit match. Here’s what that means:
- Deposit $50, get $100 free
- Deposit $150, get $150 free
- Deposit $250, get $250 free
This is an extremely strong offer, because no matter your bankroll, you’ll get at least $100 in free bets instantly deposited into your account. PointsBet lets you use those site credits on just about any type of wager, and you only need to roll the bonus funds over 1x before they convert to cash.
Action Pointsbet Review & Rating: 9.7 out of 10. “Points Betting” is a unique way of betting that only PointsBet offers. This high-risk/high-reward style is always there if you’re feeling extra confident about a certain bet. Perhaps the most enticing feature, though, is the ability to sync bets to the Action app via BetSync. BetSync is a way bettors can track all of their wagers without having to manually enter them into the Action app. [Read our full PointsBet Sportsbook review here]
What’s the Best Way to Deposit?
Users can deposit at PointsBet via online banking, Mastercard, Visa and eCheck.
Where Else Is PointsBet Legal?
The only other state where PointsBet is currently taking bets is Indiana, though more states, like Colorado, are on the way.
DraftKings Sportsbook Promo Code & Bonus Offer
Click this link and you’ll automatically be eligible for DK’s $1,000 sign-up bonus for new customers. This bonus comes in two parts, with $500 of it in the form of a first bet match. For example, if your first bet is $500 on the Jets to win the Super Bowl, you’ll get $500 in free bets instantly. The other $500 of it is in the form of a deposit match.
Action DraftKings Review & Rating: 9.7 out of 10. DraftKings has used their DFS app prowess to build the best app in the betting industry. It’s visually smooth and appealing, has a strong live betting platform, and processes withdrawals quickly. [Read our full DraftKings Sportsbook review here]
What’s the Best Way to Deposit? PayPal and online banking are two of the most popular and effective ways to deposit at DraftKings. They also accept major credit cards, including Visa, Mastercard and Discover.
Where Else Is DraftKings Legal? DraftKings also operates its sportsbook in Colorado, Pennsylvania, Indiana and West Virginia.
FanDuel Sportsbook Promo Code & Bonus Offer
If you like risk-free bets, you’ll love this offer: just click this link to claim FanDuel’s risk-free bet up to $500.
A risk-free bet is exactly what it sounds like: If your first bet wins, nice work, you get paid out in cash, per usual. If your first bet loses, you’ll be 100% refunded, up to $500, in the form of site credit. Best of all, the bet credits only need to be rolled over once to turn into cash.
Action FanDuel Review & Rating: 9.5 out of 10. Like DraftKings, FanDuel has used their experience in the DFS industry to create a very strong mobile betting experience. In addition to smooth operations and logistics, FanDuel has been known to post crazy offers that both new and existing users can bet on. For example, 76ers with a +54.5 spread.
What’s the Best Way to Deposit? FanDuel doesn’t allow deposits via Discover, but most other popular methods are accepted: PayPal, online banking transfer, Visa and Mastercard.
Where Else Is FanDuel Legal? Similar to DraftKings, FanDuel Sportsbook is also live in Colorado, Pennsylvania, Indiana and West Virginia.
SugarHouse Promo Code & Bonus Offer
Clicking this link and using the promo code 250MATCH unlocks a 100% deposit match up to $250. This match arrives instantly, too, which means you don’t need to slowly unlock more and more of the bonus by betting. To hammer home the promo with an example: If you invest $250 in cash into your SugarHouse account, you’ll also get an additional $250 in free bets.
These bonus funds only need to be rolled over once, too. Once you put those $250 in bonuses (or however big your match is) into play, the winnings will be turned into withdrawable cash.
Action SugarHouse Review & Rating: 9.1 out of 10. In addition to their strong bonus, SugarHouse allows users to cash-out of existing bets in-game. The biggest negative of SugarHouse: Its website/app isn’t as strong as the DraftKings and FanDuels of the world. [Read our full SugarHouse review]
Where Else Is SugarHouse Legal?
SugarHouse also has an online sportsbook in Pennsylvania. It’s owned by Rush Street Gaming, though, which also operates sister sportsbook BetRivers in Illinois, Colorado, Indiana and Pennsylvania.
What’s the Best Way to Deposit?
SugarHouse offers a full bevvy of deposit options, including all the popular choices: online banking, PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Discover and more.
NJ Sports Betting Sites & Apps [August 2020]
Watch out, Vegas, you have some company. New Jersey has become an absolute force in the sports betting world, largely thanks to its online sports betting presence.
If you’re in the Garden State and looking to bet, be sure to check out all of the awesome sign-up offers like these…
5 Best New Jersey Sports Betting Sites & Apps
Given New Jersey’s low entry fees for operators, there are already more than a dozen sportsbooks offering legal online sports betting in the state. Here are 5 best sports betting sites in the state, along with their new-customer offer:
- BetMGM: $500 INSTANT deposit match
- PointsBet: Deposit $250, get $250 FREE
- DraftKings: $1,000 sign-up bonus
- FanDuel: First bet risk-free up to $500
- SugarHouse: $250 deposit match
Those are our top recommended sportsbook apps & offers in NJ. But the state has more--here are 13 sites offering legal online sports betting in New Jersey in 2020:
How New Jersey Sports Betting Compares
We graded New Jersey on its sports betting bill and experience relative to other states.
Mobile Betting Options: A
New Jersey created an environment that any operator can enter thanks to reasonable entry fees ($100,000), tax rate (13% online).
Where did every state struggling to generate meaningful revenue from online sports betting go wrong? Lack of online deposits. Having to sign up and deposit in person, like you do in Nevada, Iowa and many other states, is a huge friction point for consumers.
New Jersey doesn't have that problem. In the next hour, you can sign up for a dozen different sportsbooks.
Fair Pricing: A-
NJ did everything it could to create an environment that would offer fair pricing. AfDraftKings especially has been innovative with its original offerings, and is even expanding beyond sportsbetting into its own online NJ Casino to compensate for COVID-19 revenue losses.
We haven't seen a truly sharp book like Circa Sports in Las Vegas pop up in New Jersey yet, but the opportunity is there.
NJ banned wagering on events for college teams based in the state, which you'd barely notice on a college football Saturday since Rutgers is the only FBS program. You may notice it more for college basketball, with eight programs.
The state's Department of Gaming Enforcement is fairly generous with approving new markets for betting, but will always lag behind offshore books that can offer anything they want without oversight.
New Jersey Sports Betting Rules
There aren’t many blanket rules that sports bettors must adhere to as they wager in New Jersey. Rules and limits change depending on the sportsbook and circumstance. But here are a few that apply state-wide in New Jersey: No betting on college teams from New Jersey, even if it’s being played elsewhere. While Rutgers is the only FBS football team in New Jersey, there are a host of Division I basketball programs with lines on their games, including Fairleigh Dickinson, Monmouth, NJIT, Princeton, Rider, Saint Peter’s and Seton Hall. Both Seton Hall and FDU made the NCAA Tournament this season.
- No betting on college teams from the state, or college events in the state. The latter may not sound like a big deal, but it will be a bummer when NCAA Tournament games played at Prudential Center in Newark aren't on the board.
- Lack of new markets. NJ will always lag behind offshore books that can offer whatever they want, but it should be a leader in innovative bet types and markets.
New Jersey Sports Betting FAQ
How old do I have to be to bet on sports in New Jersey?
Good news for those of you visiting the Garden State or New York City: You do not have to be a resident of New Jersey to place a legal sports bet. You simply have to be within state lines and you’ll be allowed to create a betting account.
Where can I bet on sports in New Jersey?
What if I’m from New Jersey, but outside the state currently?
What if I’m not from New Jersey, but in the state currently?
Will I get taxed on winning sports bets?
But what if I lose those winnings?
Sports Betting for NJ New Bettors
New to sports betting? Check out our 11 sports betting tips for beginners so you can get started, whether you want to bet on the New York Jets or the NY Redbulls.
Sports Betting Glossary
The sports betting lexicon is vast and sometimes confusing, especially to new bettors. Check out our sports betting glossary to get up to speed with every term you might need to know before a parlay or prop bet.
Sports Betting Mistakes to Avoid
Betting on your favorite teams like the NY Giants might seem like a no-brainer, but you need to be careful if you’re going to stay healthy all around in the sports betting world.
Here are nine mistakes to avoid.
New Jersey Sports Betting Timeline
|Resorts AC Casino Hotel||DraftKings||Atlantic City|
|Monmouth Park||William Hill||Oceanport|
|Borgata Casino||BetMGM||Atlantic City|
|Ocean Resorts Casino Hotel||William Hill||Atlantic City|
|Bally's Casino||Wild Wild West||Atlantic City|
|Harrah's Casino AC||Pending||Atlantic City|
|Golden Nugget AC||Pending||Atlantic City|
New Jersey Teams to Bet on
Known as the "Birthplace of College Football," Rutgers plays in the Big Ten's East Division. Meanwhile, the Big East's Seton Hall remains an important basketball school in the state. We expect big bets to be placed on these Scarlet Knight and Pirate games in the future.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
- Rivalry vs. Maryland Although there isn't a traveling trophy yet, Rutgers and Maryland can be considered rivals due to their location as the two eastern-most schools in the Big Ten. The teams have played annually since 2014, and the Terrapins lead the series, 4-2, including the last two in a row.
Seton Hall Pirates
Seton Hall basketball has been a consistent threat in the Big East in recent seasons, winning a conference tournament title in 2016 and a regular-season title in 2020. The Pirates have made the NCAA Tournament each year since 2016.
- Rivalry vs. Rutgers Jersey rivalries are always important, and Seton Hall-Rutgers keeps that spirit alive. Although the teams play in different conferences now and don't see each other more than once a year, the games remain competitive. In the last 10 matchups, Seton Hall holds a 6-4 lead.
Division I Football & Basketball
Division I Basketball Only
Pro Sports Teams
Although states don't need their own professional team to have a strong sport-specific market, it certainly can help momentum and engagement! Because of legal mobile betting, New Jersey bettors can attend pro games and bet and monitor in real-time when watching their favorite teams.
New Jersey has one pro team with the New Jersey name, but four teams play their home games in the state.
NFL Betting in New Jersey
- The New York Giants have plenty of past success, winning two Super Bowls in the past 15 years. But now, the team hasn't won a playoff game since 2011 and find itself in the midst of a transition. The Giants enter the season with Daniel Jones as their starter for the first time. Jones posted a solid rookie season in 2019, throwing for 3,027 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions. With a star running back in Saquon Barkley and a new head coach in Joe Judge, New York has a chance to prove itself in a solid NFC East division. The defense could be a problem, however. Adding former Alabama safety Xavier McKinney will give the secondary a boost, but the defensive line will need to take a step forward if it wants to be a solid unit. If you want to bet on the Giants this season, it may be helpful to take a look at how they performed last season. Additionally, you can check out our ongoing NFL insights and analysis to bet smart. On the non-football side of things, the Giants will return to MetLife Stadium, a stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, that holds more than 80,000 fans.
- The New York Jets don't have anything incredibly impressive going for them, but there are certainly some spots that could be exciting in 2020. Sam Darnold offers plenty of potential at quarterback and could take a big step forward if the offensive line improves. There's also a chance for Le'Veon Bell to become the back he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a disappointing 2019 season. Throw in rookie wide receiver Denzel Mims, and it's clear the offense could be fun to watch if things go the way New York wants them to. The defense may take a step back, however, as the Jets traded safety Jamal Adams during the offseason and linebacker C.J. Mosely opted out of the season. If you want to bet on the Jets this season, it may be helpful to take a look at how they performed last season. Additionally, you can check out our ongoing NFL insights and analysis to bet smart. The Jets share MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, with the New York Giants. With the Jets competing for the playoffs with the New England Patriots and Buffalo Bills, a postseason spot might be hard to come by.
NBA Betting in New Jersey
- The Brooklyn Nets used to take up residence in East Rutherford, New Jersey, playing at Meadowlands Arena before moving to Brooklyn in 2012. After making the playoffs in 2020, the Nets will enter next season with a new head coach at the helm: Steve Nash. After spending 19 years in the NBA and being enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Nash will take over a Brooklyn roster that features Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. The Nets now play their home games at the Barclays Center, which they share with the New York Islanders.
- Official Website | Roster | Schedule
MLB Betting in New Jersey
- The New York Yankees remain one of the most popular Major League Baseball teams in the country. The Yankees have won 27 World Series titles, which is the most of any team in baseball. With a roster featuring the likes of D.J. LeMahieu, Aaron Judge, and Giancarlo Stanton, the Yankees are back to competing for more world championships. The Yankees play their home games at Yankee Stadium, which opened in 2009 and was meant to capture the spirit of the old Yankee Stadium.
- Official Website | Roster | Schedule
- The New York Mets found success in 2015 and 2016, making the postseason in both years, including a World Series appearance in 2015. They haven't made the playoffs since. The Mets' roster features stars such as Jacob DeGrom and Pete Alonso, but the team's bullpen struggles have been a key storyline in 2020. The Mets call Citi Field home. The park, which is located in Queens, New York, opened in 2009, which is the same year the new Yankee Stadium opened for the Mets' cross-town rivals.
- Official Website | Roster | Schedule
NHL Betting in New Jersey
- The New Jersey Devils have struggled in recent years after making the Stanley Cup Finals during the 2011-12 season. The team was a postseason staple throughout the 2000s, but it has only made the playoffs once since 2012-13. The Devils were not one of the teams to make it to the NHL's bubble in 2020. The Devils call the Prudential Center home, which is where the New Jersey Nets played for three years before moving to Brooklyn and ditching the New Jersey name.
- Official Website | Roster | Schedule
MLS Betting in New Jersey
- The New York Red Bulls play their home games at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, despite the team's decision to roll with a New York name. The team was established in 1994 before undergoing a Red Bull rebrand in 2006. The Red Bulls made the MLS Cup in 2008 but lost to the Columbus Crew. Still, the team has captured three Supporters' Shields in 2013, 2015, and 2018, while finishing as the U.S. Open Cup runner-up twice in 2013 and 2017.
- Official Website | Roster | Schedule
New Jersey is also home to several racetracks and major horse racing events. Fewer racetracks remain in NJ as of 2020, but bettors can still enjoy live racing at:
- Freehold Raceway is a historic landmark racetrack for horses, located in Freehold Borough with a racing scheduled to resume in late August.
- There’s also Monmouth Park Racetrack, a popular venue located in Oceanport which hosts the Haskell Invitational and has hosted the Breeders cup in past years with great fanfare.
From horseracing to football, there's plenty to keep sportsfans and bettors alike happy.
In addition to the 2026 MLB All-Star Game in Pennsylvania, State College is slated to host the United States Olympic Team Trials for wrestling. The event, which was supposed to take place in April 2020, is now set for 2021 at the Bryce Jordan Center.
As mentioned, Pennsylvania also has a number of Division I basketball teams, such as Villanova and Lehigh. Both teams have become consistent NCAA Tournament squads with Villanova winning NCAA titles in 2016 and 2018.
More Reading on New Jersey
- For coverage beyond The Action Network, you can check out local sports columns: The Daily Record, The Star-Leger at NJ.com, and The Press of Atlantic City
- You can review the Sports Wagering Law in full detail, see this NJ.gov resource as well as documentation on approved events to bet on
- Pennsylvania releases monthly and yearly revenue reports. The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board produced revenue results from the 2020-21 fiscal year and includes each month.
- The Keystone State houses a number of casinos. A more detailed map can be found here, and breakdowns of each location can be found in the table above.
- For common questions and official responses from the NJ The Division of Gaming Enforcement, please see their Sports Wagering FAQ
- With different rules between states since PASPA was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2018, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board has posted them on its website.
- The state also put out a list of approved operators and licenses holders in the state. The list includes DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, and Parx, among a slew of others.
- In addition to the specific sports betting business information, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board released a document that lays out the benefits of gambling laws for the state's residents.