Rovell: The Teams Sportsbooks Don’t Want to See Win the World Series
Joe Robbins/Getty Images. Pictured: Shogo Akiyama and Jesse Winker
With the Major League Baseball season upon us, we canvassed a host of sportsbooks to see what bettors have been betting and what the sportsbooks themselves are rooting for and against:
Largest Liabilities & Biggest Bets
FanDuel: Top three liabilities are the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees.
FanDuel’s biggest bet taken is a $9,000 bet on the Yankees to win it all placed on February at +375. The White Sox and Reds are the longshots that would be trouble for the book.
DraftKings: The Yankees win the World Series. They account for 37% of the handle and 31% of the bets. After that the Phillies, Dodgers and Marlins.
The biggest longshot payouts would be a $180,000 payout on a $240 bet on the Baltimore Orioles at all 750/1 and a $9,248 bet on the Tampa Bay Rays to win it all that would pay $175,724.
BetMGM: The Mariners to win the World Series. MGM has a $1,000 bet at 500/1 and would result in a seven-figure loss. Second is the Rockies, which would be a six-figure loss at this point.
BetMGM would also be crushed by the Cincinnati Reds winning the National League and the Angels winning the American League.
BetMGM has also taken a $50,000 bet on the Los Angeles Dodgers to win the NL West (-500).
PointsBet: The largest potential payout is $188,000 if an $1,896 bet on the Toronto Blue Jays to win the World Series comes through. Next biggest potential payout is $50 on the Kansas City Royals to win the World Series, which would pay out $50,000.
Largest MVP Liabilities
- FanDuel: Bryce Harper (13/1), Nick Castellanos (70/1), Gleyber Torres (20/1)
- DraftKings: Bryce Harper (16/1)
- BetMGM: Nolan Arenado (16/1), Pete Alonso (40/1), Giancarlo Stanton (40/1)
- PointsBet: Gleyber Torres (20/1), Bryce Harper (18/1), Shohei Otani (33/1), Javier Baez (20/1)
Largest Cy Young Liabilities
- FanDuel: Jesus Luzardo (60/1), Josh Hader (35/1)
- DraftKings: Josh Hader (100/1)
- BetMGM: Lucas Giolito (16/1), Zach Greinke (25/1), Mike Soroka (30/1)
- PointsBet: Lucas Giolito (18/1), Gerrit Cole (+275), Jesus Luzardo (50/1), Robby Ray (50/1), Luis Castillo (18/1)