It's not necessarily the most well-known name in the sports betting industry yet (at least not in the U.S.), but don't let your lack of familiarity fool you: Betfred Sports has a longstanding reputation in this space. Founded in 1967 in England, Betfred has decades of experience and has built up a trustworthy reputation that makes it a worthwhile addition to a U.S. sports bettor's portfolio.
Bonuses & Promotions
Every sports bettor wants to make money — that's no secret. But making money betting on sports is difficult. Even maintaining a 50% win rate can be a struggle, and that's not enough to break even over the long term. That means it's extremely important to be on the lookout for opportunities to claim bonus offers when they're presented, and specifically look for the best ones.
Betfred's offer is right up there, as it combines a juicy promotion with a solid deposit match. Not only will you get $100 free when you place a $20 bet on the NFL, you'll also have your first deposit matched in full up to $500. That means you could be looking at a payday of $600+ ($100 + $500 + your potential winnings from the NFL bet).
A few details to know about the offer:
- Your initial NFL wager must come on odds of -200 or greater (-150, +110, +170, etc.).
- Your free $100 will come in the form of a free bet that must be used within seven days of being credited.
Mobile App & Website
Betfred's web-based platform takes the form that has become standard in the industry, with the sport/league menu located on a left-hand sidebar, and odds displayed in the main portion of the screen.
Betfred's Mobile App
At Action, we’ve bet and tested in the Betfred Sportsbook app and found pros and cons.
- Intuitiveness. It won't take long to get the hang of using the Betfred Sports mobile app, as its menu is clearly laid out and you'll likely be able to find the bet you're looking for within seconds. That can certainly come in handy in crunch time before a game begins, or when looking to place a live bet before a line changes.
- Many bet types available. While the majority of bets placed at any sportsbook come in the form of spreads, moneylines and totals, you'll find plenty more than that available on Betfred's platform. Props, alternate lines and a whole lot more are available upon selecting a game.
- Parlay+ product. If you're into parlays, you'll be happy to know that Betfred's app allows you to parlay several different bet types within the same game. Want to parlay a spread, total and player prop on a single matchup? Look no further.
- Design. While design certainly isn't the most important aspect of a sports betting app, it's still worth noting that Betfred's interface isn't quite up to the level of many of its competitors from a looks perspective, with others offering a bit of a cleaner feel.
- Glitches. It's by no means an issue for every user, but multiple reviews of Betfred's app site crashes or blank screens upon logging in. Users also cite having to sign in again every time they leave the app, even just for a few seconds (which could be seen as a positive from a security perspective).
- No FAQ section. Neither the app nor web-based platform at Betfred allows users to access an FAQ section. And while they do offer very strong customer support, especially over the phone, it's often easiest for customers to find answers to questions on their own — which isn't an option.
Registering and Cashiering
Betfred's sign-up process is a little bit more extensive than what you might find at other books, which isn't necessarily a bad thing from a security standpoint. Signing up will require your name, date of birth, full social security number (many books only require the last four digits) and a photo ID, which isn't needed at every book. Withdrawal speeds are strong, however, which is often a key factor in selecting a sportsbook.
Account Creation Requirements
To create an account at Betfred you'll need to provide:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Street address
- Full SSN
- Photo ID
The timeframe for receiving funds from a withdrawal depends heavily on the method you choose. Most commonly, bank transfers are usually processed within 48 hours. Users also have the option to receive a check by mail (which could take up to 14 days), and users who qualify for VIP Preferred status will receive their funds instantly.
Below is Betfred's deposit/withdrawal option menu:
- Debit cards (deposits only)
- VIP Preferred
- Play+ card
- Bank transfers
- Cash at cage
Like most sportsbooks, Betfred Sports offers users the ability to restrict themselves should they feel their gambling has become a problem. They do so through a "Take a Break" function.
As the name implies, it allows users to suspend their account for a given period of time (from one month to two years). It's important to note that users will not be able to access their account until the initially decided time has passed.
The sports betting catalog is a strong point for Betfred Sports.
Bet Types Available
Bet types offered include:
- Round Robins
Sports Markets Offered
It's unlikely that you won't be able to find the sport you're looking to bet at Betfred.
The list includes:
|Basketball (NBA and NCAA)
|Football (NFL and NCAA)
Betfred Sports vs. Other Sportsbooks
While Betfred's initial appearance may not catch the eye in quite the same manner as some of its competing sportsbooks, there's still reason to look further into the sportsbook, especially if you want to be presented with a solid welcome offer and plenty of betting options.
Betfred's new-user offer is a fantastic combination of a no-brainer promotion with a deposit match. Not only will you get $100 free when you make a $20 bet on the NFL, you'll also get your initial deposit matched in full up to $500! That means you could be looking at a sum of more than $600.
Betfred also shines through its wide variety of bet types on any given game in a major sports league.
As for their betting odds, while they do hit the -110 standard line on either side of a major spread, they're a bit off the market leaders in some other spots like futures and moneylines.
Other Betfred Benefits
- Seasonal sport-specific offers: For example, you'll get a $25 free bet if you place a Super Bowl 56 future
- Refer-a-friend bonuses: Get $50 for every friend you refer, up to $500
- Ticket giveaways to local events: For example, Iowa users can enter a contest to win a suite at an Iowa Cubs game