How Kawhi Leonard’s Decision Will Shift Lakers, Clippers, Raptors NBA Title Odds
Sergio Estrada-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Kawhi Leonard
- Kawhi Leonard is the best remaining available NBA free agent.
- According to wide-spread reports, Leonard will likely sign with one of the three following franchises: Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers or Los Angeles Clippers.
- Darren Rovell caught up with Jeff Sherman from the Westgate to break down how Kawhi's decision will shift the 2020 title odds for all three teams.
We saw an unprecedented Day 1 of NBA free agency with some of the league’s biggest stars — Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Al Horford, Jimmy Butler, D’Angelo Russell, Tobias Harris — all choosing to play for new teams.
But there’s one franchise-altering talent still left on the board: the Board Man himself, Kawhi Leonard.
Three teams are believed to have a chance at signing Leonard — the Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers.
No matter who he chooses, the league and the odds will change forever … again. We caught up with Jeff Sherman, VP of Risk Management for the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, to see how Kawhi picking (or not picking) each of the three teams would shake up their 2020 NBA title odds.
Note on the odds below: A $100 bet at +600 would profit $600, while a $200 bet at -200 would profit $100.
- Current title odds: +1000
- Title odds with Kawhi: +600
- Title odds without Kawhi: +3000
The Raptors getting Kawhi would make them the clear favorites in the East, but their title odds (+600) would still be slightly behind the Lakers, per Sherman.
Without Kawhi, a core of Kyle Lowry, Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka and Pascal Siakam would fall to a second-tier team, with odds of 30-1. For comparison, that’s where the Westgate currently has the Thunder and Trail Blazers slotted.