Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Jose Aldo (red gloves).
- No. 10 ranked middleweight Jared "Killa Gorilla" Cannonier (-150) takes on an all-time great in No. 14 ranked Anderson "The Spider" Silva (+125).
- Legendary featherweight No. 1 ranked Jose Aldo (-135) faces off against No. 4 ranked Alexander "The Great" Volkanovski (+110).
- The fight between Clay Guida (-570) and BJ Penn (+410) provides the best betting value on the card.
UFC 237 Undercard Betting Preview:
- Early Preliminary Card: 6:15 p.m. ET on ESPN+
- Preliminary Card: 8:00 p.m. ET on ESPN
- Main Card: 10 p.m. ET on PPV via ESPN+
>> Sign up for an ESPN+ subscription to order the pay-per-view portion of UFC 237.
UFC 237 kicks off on Saturday evening in Brazil with two world class MMA fighters in action on their home turf. Jose Aldo is looking to build on his back-to-back knockout wins, while Anderson Silva hopes to get back in the win column.
Jared “Killa Gorilla” Cannonier (-150) vs. Anderson “The Spider” Silva (+125)
After starting his UFC career as a heavyweight, Jared “Killa Gorilla” Cannonier (11-4) made his middleweight debut last November. Entering as a +255 underdog, Cannonier knocked out David Branch in the second round.
A switch stance fighter, Cannonier is a heavy-handed striker. He’s knocked out men in the heavyweight, light heavyweight, and middleweight divisions of the UFC and has a +0.80 strike differential.
Cannonier has displayed two key weaknesses in the UFC.
- Wrestling: Cannonier only defends 44% of takedowns successfully. In his UFC career, Cannonier has landed one takedown and surrendered 16.
- Chin: Cannonier has been knocked out twice in the UFC (both first round finishes). Cannonier only absorbed 16 significant strikes per fight in those bouts.
Against the legendary Silva (34-9, 1 NC), the latter issue will be the one to worry about. Silva has one of the best resumes in UFC history and it’s punctuated by highlight reel finishes.
To put his accomplishments into context, Silva ranks:
- No. 1 in longest title reign (2457 days) all-time.
- No. 1 in longest win streak (16) all-time.
- No. 1 in middleweight division finishes (11) and wins (13) all-time.
- No. 1 in UFC title fight finishes (9), knockouts (7), and knockdowns (10) all-time.
- No. 2 in knockdowns landed (18) all-time.
- No. 2 in significant strike accuracy (60.0%) all-time.
Silva’s greatest weapon is his counter-striking. He has an ability to draw opponents in and coerce them to make mistakes, opening themselves up in the process.
Recently, Silva’s fights have been more confusing and less spectacle. It’s likely a mix of Silva’s reflexes declining with age — he is still able to stymie opponents, but unable to capitalize — and an apparent change in attitude.
It’s difficult to predict exactly what we’ll get in the cage on Saturday night. Cannonier is a dangerous puncher, but has been knocked out multiple times and hasn’t dealt with any elite counter-strikers in the UFC. Silva has always been an enigmatic figure, but his post-championship career has been one oddity after another.