- Washington State is the betting favorite over Washington, the first time the Cougars have been favored in the Apple Cup in more than 10 years.
- Oddsmakers have pegged Washington State as a 3.5-point favorite.
Washington State is a 3.5-point favorite over Washington in the 2018 Apple Cup, the first time the Cougars have been the betting favorite in this rivalry game since 2006.
This game will decide the Pac-12 North, and for Washington State, it will need a win to have a prayer at making the College Football Playoff.
Washington-Washington State Betting Odds Movement
Since Washington State wasn’t expected to be all that good this season, none of the books we tracked had a lookahead line posted for this game.
College Football Playoff Scenarios for Washington State
Based on its strength of schedule, Washington State will need a lot of help to get into the College Football Playoff. The committee ranking it No. 8 behind the likes of LSU and Oklahoma illustrates that. Assuming the Cougars win out by beating Washington and Utah in the Pac-12 title game, here’s what would help Wazzu get in:
- West Virginia beats Oklahoma this week.
- Ohio State or Michigan loses Big Ten Championship to Northwestern.
- Ohio State beats Michigan and Northwestern, and the Cougars get in over the one-loss Buckeyes.
- Notre Dame loses to USC.
Even if Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, both of those two would get in over a one-loss Washington State.
Apple Cup Betting History
Washington State hasn’t been favored in this rivalry game since 2006. Even two years later, when Washington went winless after losing quarterback Jake Locker early in the season, the Huskies were a 7-point favorite.