MLB Wednesday Weather: Over/Under Falling Fast at Uncharacteristic Coors Field
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Coors Field.
- Warm and windy conditions in St. Louis make it the best hitting weather of the slate, and the total appears as if it may move from 8.5 to 9.
- Crosswinds in Chicago have the total opening at 7.5, but the Weather Rating in the high 50s is much higher than it was for the first two games of the Marlins-Cubs series.
- The Giants-Rockies game is at risk of being postponed due to a wintry mix, but bettors are hammering the under just in case they do get the game in.
We continue to inch towards summer, but we’re not quite there yet. Yesterday, I saw nearly a dozen warbler species migrating in my neck of the woods. Today, just a disappointing few, making my 6 a.m. wake-up time a bit of a waste.
We have some games that will be played in the 80s today, while others may be postponed due to snow …
Like I said — we’re not quite there yet.
Highest Weather Ratings
- Royals at Astros: 77 (If roof is open)
- Phillies at Cardinals: 74
- Marlins at Cubs: 57
Weather Ratings are a proprietary number created by FantasyLabs, which are on a 0-100 scale, with 100 being the best hitting atmosphere and 0 being the best pitching atmosphere. Weather Rating takes into account temperature, wind speed, wind direction, stadium elevation, humidity and atmospheric pressure.
As of this morning, there’s no word on whether or not the roof will be closed in Houston, though some potential showers in the area lead me to believe it probably will be. It’s a darn shame such lovely hitting weather will go to waste. Check this site for any updates.
Luckily, St. Louis has stepped up to fill the void. This game is quite similar to a Dodgers-Cardinals day game played nearly a month ago (April 11th) in which the Cards won in an 11-7 slugfest. We’ll see temperatures right around 80 degrees and a strong breeze blowing to left. I personally took over 8.5 (-105) last night when I saw the initial forecast and the juice on the over has since risen to -115 or -120 around the market.
After a couple consecutive games with winds blowing in at Wrigley (and a heartbreaking bad beat last night), tonight features a strong right to left wind and, surprisingly enough, above-average hitting conditions. The total still opened up at a mere 7.5, though.
Wait a second … where’s the Giants-Rockies game? Well, tonight’s game at Coors, as you may have guessed from the title of the article, looks like crap. With a Weather Rating of just 46, this game is well below the typical conditions we see in Denver.
The temperature? High 30s. The wind? Blowing in. And for good measure, there will be rain all evening that may even turn to snow in the later innings. The over/under, which opened up between 10 and 11 around the market, is down to 9.5 thanks to a large percentage of cash on the under. Honestly, I’d be surprised if they play this game considering the elements.
Lowest Weather Ratings
- Mariners at Yankees: 15
- Angels at Tigers: 25
- Red Sox at Orioles: 28
As has been the case for the first two games of their respective series, the Mariners-Yankees and Angels-Tigers games have some pretty bad weather. New York’s doesn’t look too shabby on paper, but the over/under has fallen from 9.5 to 9 since opening thanks to a couple of steam moves on the under.
The total has also dropped in Detroit, where the weather actually does look pretty bad on paper. Temperatures in the mid-50s will be accompanied by a strong breeze blowing in from left. The over/under has fallen from 8.5 to 8 with Tyler Skaggs taking on Matt Boyd.
- Phillies at Cardinals: Increasing chance of thunderstorms as we get later into the game.
- Red Sox at Orioles: Slight chance of a shower in the late innings.
- Marlins at Cubs: The beginning of the game should be alright, but a big chunk of storms will be moving in later in the evening. Depending on the timing, we could certainly see a rain-shortened or even postponed game.
- Giants at Rockies: Like I said before, this game has a very strong postponement risk. It’s possible they try hard to get the game in considering tomorrow’s day game also has a significant PPD risk thanks to snow overnight and through tomorrow afternoon. What’s the date again? May 8th? And we’re still dealing with potential snow-outs?