- Ex-NFL player Greg Hardy makes his professional MMA debut on Tuesday night against another former NFL player, Austen Lane.
- At BetDSI, Hardy is a +135 underdog to Lane, who already has four pro wins under his belt.
On Tuesday night, two former NFL defensive ends are set to face off in the octagon as part of Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series. Odd night for a contender series if you ask me, but I’m not the one worth half a billion.
Former Panther and Cowboy Greg Hardy will make his professional debut against Austen Lane, who played from 2010-2014 for the Jaguars, Chiefs, Lions and Bears. Though Hardy had the superior NFL career, it’s Lane who is favored to win the fight. BetDSI posted odds for the event on Sunday and have yet to move off the opening line.
- Hardy +135
- Lane -165
Hardy has a bit of experience as a fighter, going 3-0 as an amateur, but Lane already has a 4-0 record as a pro. Lane’s amateur career ended after a perfect 5-0 record with five first-round knockouts.
Here is a clip of Hardy’s most recent fight, in which he dropped a chubby no-name bum nearly a foot shorter than him in less than 15 seconds.
Tomorrow’s bout is not expected to last long, as the over/under is set at 1.5 (under -260) rounds. Other props include:
- Fight outcome: Goes to decision +450, ends by KO/TKO/DQ -550, ends by submission +350, no contest +1000
- Fight distance: Hardy wins inside distance +145, Hardy wins by decision +525, Lane wins inside distance -160, Lane wins by decision +475
- Will either fighter win by 1st-round knockout: Yes -245, No +175
- Will Greg Hardy be added to a UFC event card in 2018: Yes -105, No -135
- Will Austen Lane be added to a UFC event card in 2018: Yes -135, No -105
Casually thrown in among the props …
- Will Greg Hardy be arrested in 2018: Yes +1200, No -2500
Hey, not terrible odds if you ask me. As we all know, Hardy was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in 2014. This eventually led to a four-game suspension from the NFL, the same penalty for deflating footballs.
In 2016, he was busted for cocaine possession. Looks to me like he gets arrested on every even-numbered year. Plenty of value there at 12-1.
For those who are interested in betting the fight, here’s footage of the weigh-in. A disappointing lack of fanfare if you ask me.
Hardy has the weight advantage, but Lane stands one inch taller, has more experience and looks to be more physically fit. I guess there’s a reason he’s -165.