NFL Week 6 WR/CB Matchups: A.J. Green and Joe Haden Set for Another Battle, More Shadow Dates
- Week 6 features some interesting receiver-corner matchups including A.J. Green being shadowed by Joe Haden.
- The Seahawks and Raiders receiver are each set up well in a sneaky-shootout spot.
- The Jaguars and Dolphins might not be worth investing in this week.
I’ll be breaking down the top wide receiver/cornerback matchups every week throughout the 2018 NFL season.
Here’s a data-driven analysis of the week’s best passing-game matchup, three potential shadow matchups and five potential non-shadow matchups. Then we’ll round it out with a quick look at plus and minus matchups.
Matchup of the Week
Falcons Offense vs. Buccaneers Defense
The Falcons and Buccaneers rank 31st and 32nd in points allowed per game, respectively, yet also sport top-10 scoring offenses. It’s no surprise this matchup carries a huge 57-point over/under as of Thursday afternoon.
Also helping matters for the Falcons is Julio Jones’ history against the Buccaneers. He has consistently carved up his division rival since entering the league in 2011:
Jones’ current streak of 10 regular-season games without a touchdown is the longest of his career. Coincidentally, he’s scored a career-high 10 regular-season touchdowns against the Buccaneers.
Calvin Ridley (PPR WR18) and Mohamed Sanu (WR34) have maintained fantasy relevance in the Falcons’ high-octane offense. They’re averaging 5.2 and 6.2 targets per game, respectively, and are set up well against a Buccaneers secondary that is lacking in overall talent.
- Brent Grimes: PFF’s 108th-ranked cornerback out of 111 qualified players
- Carlton Davis: Rookie and is PFF’s 85th-ranked cornerback
- M.J. Stewart: Rookie and is PFF’s 79th-ranked cornerback
- Ryan Smith: PFF’s 31st-ranked cornerback
Per our NFL Trends tool, the Buccaneers rank among the league’s bottom two defenses in DraftKings points per game and Plus/Minus allowed to wide receivers this season. They rank dead last in overall and pass DVOA. Exploit the Buccaneers’ putrid defense in every form of fantasy until further notice.