2019 NBA Slam Dunk Contest Odds: John Collins Favored Over Dennis Smith Jr., Miles Bridges
Photo credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: John Collins
- The 2019 NBA Dunk Contest will take place on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 8 p.m. ET at All-Star Weekend in Charlotte, NC.
- Odds have been posted, and John Collins (+120) is the early favorite over Miles Bridges, Dennis Smith Jr. and Hamidou Diallo.
One of the most anticipated events on the NBA calendar, this year’s version of the NBA Dunk Contest is full of young, up-and-comers.
Here’s the field and their odds to win:
- Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins: +120
- Charlotte Hornets wing Miles Bridges: +200
- New York Knicks point guard Dennis Smith Jr.: +300
- Oklahoma City Thunder wing Hamidou Diallo: +500
It’s interesting that Collins is the favorite as the last big man to win the Slam Dunk Contest was 2011, when Blake Griffin took the crown in his then home city of Los Angeles.
Over the past 10 years, only two big men (Griffin and Dwight Howard) have won.
Bridges will get the benefit of performing in front of his home crowd in Charlotte, and he arguably has the dunk of the year so far in the 2018-19 season:
Kemba is shocked his teammate is +200 to win.
New Knicks point guard Dennis Smith Jr. is third with +300 odds, and he is the only player in the field with experience. He failed to make it out of the first round last year despite posting a perfect 50 score on his second dunk — a beautiful 360, through-the-legs lefty slam.
Can he win it this time around or will the two favorites take it home? Or can Diallo surprise everyone, a la Glenn Robinson III in 2017?