Horse Racing Picks, Exotics & Longshots: 3 Races to Play at Belmont Park on Sunday, June 21
Al Bello/Getty Images. Pictured: Belmont Park
- Horse racing is back in action on Sunday at Belmont Park after Saturday's running of the Belmont Stakes.
- Jeremy Pond has zeroed in on picks for three races on Sunday, including Race 4, (2:54 p.m. ET), Race 6 (4:01 p.m. ET) and Race 8 (5:05 p.m. ET).
Things could not have been any more exciting Saturday in horse racing, with Tiz The Law capturing the Belmont Stakes in convincing fashion in New York.
Jockey Manny Franco and the 3-year-old New York bred put on a show, en route to their easy 3 3/4-length win. The duo helped us hit some nice exotic tickets and we are hoping for more of the same in today’s action.
Our attention is going to stay right there at Belmont Park, which has a nine-race card of solid races on deck.
Here are the highlighted plays at Belmont, along with our multi-race wagers fort Santa Anita Park and back across the border in Canada at Woodbine.
Lets take a look:
Time: 2:54 p.m. ET
I am not a fan of laying such huge chalk, but No. 7 Bebe Banker (4-5) is far and away the class of the field in this $34,000 Claiming race.
Trainer Rudy Rodriguez brings his charge in off close to a three-month layoff and makes the switch to jockey Luis Saez for the one-mile affair on the dirt. Bebe Banker was second in that claiming race at Aqueduct and put up a solid 88 Equibase speed figure.
I am going to play him across the board and single him on top of my exacta wager. Use No. 2 More Than Striking (7-2), No. 3 Vitesse (8-1) and No. 8 Charge Ahead (5-1) underneath that play. Add Vitesse to the win line with Bebe Banker on your trifecta, then throw the others on the back end of it, along with longshot No. 5 Dublin Green (20-1) as well.
- $7 Win/Place/Show: No. 7 Bebe Banker (4-5)— $21 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 7 over 2/3/8 — $12 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 3/7 over 2/3/7/8 over 2/3/5/7/8— $27 Ticket
Time: 4:01 p.m. ET
This might be the toughest race to handicap on the entire card.
Several horses enter this $49,000 Maiden Claiming event, scheduled to go one mile on the turf course, but I am backing No. 1 Tilsa at 3-1 odds.
Jockey John Velazquez climbs aboard for trainer Jonathan Thomas, as Tilsa is making her second career start in this drop in class to the maiden-claiming level. The daughter of Flatter was second on debut in that April 29 race at Tampa Bay Downs and ships in to face this deep field. I think Tilsa will vastly improve off that first effort and control things from the start.
I am playing Tilsa across the board and boxing her in an exacta with No. 2 Lovely Lucky (9-2), No. 7 Come Storming (5-1) and No. 8 Checksandbalances at 7-2 odds. Put Tilsa and Lovely Lucky on top of your trifecta wagers and the others underneath, along with No. 6 Champagne Diet at 6-1 odds.
- $4 Win/Place/Show: No. 1 Tilsa (3-1) — $12 Ticket
- $2 exacta box wager: 1/2/7/8 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 1/2 over 1/2/7/8 over 1/2/6/7/8— $27 Ticket
Race 8: Lady Shipman Stakes
Time: 5:05 p.m. ET
My top selection in this $80,000 stakes event, scheduled to go six furlongs on the Inner Turf course, is No. 11 Miss J McKay at 5-2 odds.
Trainer Cathal Lynch sends out his star 3-year-old filly by Hangover Kid, who finished in the money in all five of her 2019 races that delivered more than $131,000 in earnings.
Miss J McKay hasn’t run since December 7, which does cause some concern in terms of that kind of lengthy layoff, but she is the class of this field and should sit the perfect trip. Jockey Jose Ortiz is in the irons and should have Miss J McKay flying down the stretch.
I am playing her across the board in my Win-Place-Show wagering and on top of my exacta with No. 4 Chili Petin (4-1), who goes out for trainer Wesley Ward. Put No. 1 Bredenbury (6-1) and No. 6 She’s My Type (4-1) underneath in the exacta wager. Box all four horses in your trifecta play.
- $7 Win/Place/Show: No. 11 Miss J McKay (5-2) — $21 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 4/11 over 1/4/6/11 — $24 Ticket
- $1 trifecta box wager: 1/4/6/11 — $24 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Belmont Park
- Daily Double (Races 2 and 3): 2,3,5,6 / 2,5,6 ($2.50 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 2,7,8 / 2,3,6,7,8 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9): 3,4,5,8 / 1,4,6,11 / 3,5,7,8,11 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $40 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Woodbine
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 1,3,8,9 / 1,3,4,7 ($2 Daily Double = $32 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9): 1,3,9 / 2,4,6,7 / 6,9,10 ($1 Pick 3 = $36 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Santa Anita Park
- Daily Double (Races 2 and 3): 3,6,7 / 1,2,3,6,7,9 ($1.50 Daily Double = $27 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 7 and 8): 1,2,6 / 3,7,8,10,11 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 10-11-12): 3,5,7,8 / 2,5,7 / 5,7,11,12,13 ($.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)