New York’s Most Valuable Sports Team by 2040
NY sports betting launched in January 2022, and what a start to the year it was in the Empire State.
New York is home to millions of sports fans from all over the planet. With professional teams in each major sporting league, the Empire State has everything a sports fan could want.
Over the last decade, many New York teams have led club values in their respective sports league, reaching well over into the billions. But, how will they do in the future?
|1||New York Knicks||NBA||$9.7B||$18.9B|
|2||New York Yankees||MLB||$9.5B||$18.1B|
|3||New York Giants||NFL||$8.5B||$16.1B|
|4||New York Jets||NFL||$7.0B||$13.1B|
|6||New York Mets||MLB||$4.6B||$8.5B|
|7||New York Rangers||NHL||$3.9B||$7.7B|
|9||New York City FC||MLS||$1.9B||$4.2B|
|10||New York Islanders||NHL||$1.4B||$3.0B|
*These figures were adjusted for inflation at a rate of the United States average from 1914 until 2021 – 3.24%.
Knicks take the top spot with the Yankees close behind
Taking the first spot is the New York Knicks with over $10.5 million in team value. With Madison Square Garden being your home arena, that is already an advantage against the rest of the teams.
MSG is one of the most famous sports/entertainment arena in the world. According to Forbes, Madison Square Garden is valued at $828 million and accounts for 23% of the Knicks’ value. Back in 2013, the Garden underwent a $1 billion renovation and the franchise is still profiting from it.
Right behind are the New York Yankees and all the history that comes with them. In recent years, the Yankees have had more success than the Knicks. Winning 19 AL East Division titles with the most recent in 2019, the Yankees have always been a consistent powerhouse in the American League. Let’s not forget their league-leading 27 Word Series titles, which has boosted their mystique and valuation over time.
Two NHL franchises in the bottom 5
The New York Rangers are ranked seventh but still conquer the league as the most valued NHL franchise. Like the Knicks, their value will continue to rise as long as their home arena is the Madison Square Garden.
Performance-wise, the Rangers haven’t lived up to their expectations. Last year, the hockey organization cleaned house after a disappointing 2020-21 season, firing head coach David Quinn, GM Jeff Gorton and President John Davidson. Chris Drury, a former Rangers captain took on both the GM and President roles, and hired Gerard Gallant to lead the team from the bench.
Last on the list is the New York Islanders. The 2020-21 NHL season was the Islanders final season playing in Nassau Coliseum. Unfortunately, their run ended the same as the year prior, losing to the eventual champion Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference Final.
The Islanders began the 2021-22 season with a 13-game road trip before finally opening the brand-new, $1.3 billion UBS Arena. The state-of-the-art arena holds 17,000 fans for Islanders games, a big upgrade over the 13,000 at the Coliseum. The look and atmosphere has the potential to feel like Madison Square Garden. With this relocation, by 2040, the Islanders’ valuation will rise.
Soccer making an appearance in the top 10
Even though New York City FC didn’t have a valuation in 2015 (inaugural season) the MLS franchise takes the ninth spot. NYCFC is owned by The City Football Group. CFG is a holding company that primarily administers association football clubs, owning stakes in clubs around the world, including Manchester United. CFG owns 80% of New York City F.C. with the other 20% belonging to Yankee Global Enterprises (YGE).
The minority owner also owns the New York Yankees, and a majority stake in YES Network. NYCFC plays its games at Yankee Stadium. Since then, NYCFC has see their valuation skyrocket with the help of CFG and having their home games at Yankee Stadium. As of 2019, the NYCFC are in the top five of the most valued MLS franchises, surpassing soccer clubs that have been around for over a century.
Sports bettors in New York can enjoy some of the top sportsbooks in the industry such as FanDuel, PointsBet, Caesars, DraftKings, BetRivers, and BetMGM. Sign up today at these great sportsbooks, if you haven’t already!
To determine which New York sports teams are set to be the most valuable in the next decade, we first studied their club values. This data was captured by analyzing historical Forbes and Statista data.
Using this data, we ran a forecast function to generate predicted club value information for the years 2022-2040. From here, we were able to rank the top 10 New York sports teams, depending on their projections.
How would you rate this article?
This site contains commercial content. We may be compensated for the links provided on this page. The content on this page is for informational purposes only. Action Network makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the information given or the outcome of any game or event.