Manchester City vs. Manchester United Betting Pick, Odds: Where’s the Value in the Manchester Derby?
Photo by Visionhaus: Pictured: Sergio Aguero.
- Updated betting odds for Sunday's Manchester City vs. Manchester United match have City listed as a -136 favorite, United at +340 and a draw at +310.
- Both teams are entering this match in strong form, but neither has been scoring many goals as of late, and the over/under is listed at 2.5 goals (o-141).
- Jeremy Pond breaks down the odds, and offers his three favorite picks on the Manchester Derby below.
There are exciting rivalries across the world in sports, whether it is clubs or countries going at it.
And then there’s Manchester City against Manchester United — the derby of all derbies on the global soccer landscape.
The Premier League powerhouses square off again Sunday in the weekend’s marquee showdown in the latest edition of the Manchester Derby.
City makes the four-mile trek to Old Trafford to continue the historic rivalry, which started back in 1881. The sides have faced off 181 times across all competitions during that time, with United holding the edge in wins (75), compared to City’s 54 victories. The clubs have drawn on the 52 other matches.
Both clubs have tasted greatness as well, with United winning the league crown 20 times. Its most recent championship came three years ago. City has had more recent success in the league, going back to back the past two campaigns for six total titles.
Both clubs enter this match in excellent form. United is unbeaten in its last nine matches across all competitions and 11 of its last 12 home games in league play. The Red Devils have also been extra stingy on the defensive side at Old Trafford, recording six shutouts in their last seven home contests.
Manchester United vs. Manchester City Tale of the Tape
- Manchester United holds a 2-0-1 edge over Manchester City in the last three derbies
- Six of the last seven Manchester derbies have been won by the away club
- Manchester United has conceded just two goals in its last nine matches across all competitions
- There have been just two draws in the last 24 meetings between these clubs across all competitions
United is currently one spot out of the Champions League mix in the league table, sitting in fifth place on 42 points with an 11-8-9 record. The Red Devils have been stellar on the offensive side, sitting in fourth place with 46.58 expected goals in league play.
City has been just as good, if not better than United in the lead-up to this match. The Citizens have won five straight games across all competitions and carry a 6-1-1 mark in their last eight league tilts into Old Trafford. That lone setback came on February 2 in a 2-0 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur. The Citizens, who lead the league with a stunning 71.94 expected goals this season, are second on the table with 59 points. City is well back of eventual champion Liverpool with its 18-6-3 record.
Despite each club’s strong form of late, neither has scored too many goals in league action. The total has stayed under 2.5 goals in Manchester City’s last four matches and that same total has gone under the number in five of the last six tilts Manchester United has played in league games.
Despite those statistics, I am expecting a trend reversal at Old Trafford and backing both teams to score in this showdown.
I am also going to roll the dice and back Manchester United to pull off the slight upset. The Red Devils are getting a goal at home and that ripe number at 4/1 odds to outright win is too good to pass up as well.
The Bets: Manchester United plus-1 (minus-125); Manchester United three-way money line (plus-400); Both Teams to Score – Yes (minus-143)