Friday Premier League Updated Odds, Picks, Prediction & Expert Tips: Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal Betting Preview
Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images. Pictured: Arsenal standout Gabriel Jesus, right, celebrates a goal.
- Arsenal begins its Premier League campaign Friday with a showdown against Crystal Palace.
- The Gunners have high hopes to put together a big season under manager Mikel Arteta, but can the Eagles spoil the party for the visitors on debut?
- Analyst Brett Pund breaks down the contest below and details why he's backing the underdog hosts to get a result at Selhurst Park.
Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal Odds
|Crystal Palace Odds||+333|
|Over/Under||2.5 (-115 / -120)|
|Day | Time||Friday | 3 p.m. ET|
|How To Watch||USA Network | fuboTV|
|Odds updated as Friday afternoon via BetMGM. Get up-to-the-minute soccer odds here.|
To kick off the Premier League season, Arsenal travels to Selhurst Park on Friday to play Crystal Palace in a juicy London derby.
The Gunners enter the campaign with high expectations following last season’s improvement and new additions to the squad this summer.
Meanwhile, the Eagles had a great tournament run in FA Cup action during the 2021-22 season, but the club is looking for a top-half finish in the English top flight this time around.
Palace was very strong at home last season, so I think we have found some great value on the host side against the title contenders.
The big question for manager Patrick Vieira is how he’s going to replace Conor Gallagher’s eight goals and three assists after the young midfielder returned to Chelsea following the last campaign.
Fortunately for Vieira, he’s the only big departure from the roster. Key players like Wilfried Zaha, Odsonne Édouard and Eberechi Eze are still at the club to lead the attack.
The one significant addition to the squad was the signing of Mali international midfielder Cheick Doucoure from Ligue 1 outfit Lens. Doucoure could fill the void in the center of the park following Gallagher’s departure.
By The Numbers
- +10.4 — At home last season, Palace posted this impressive xGDiff, according to fbref.com.
- 10 — Number of points the Eagles picked up against the Big 6 opponents at Selhurst Park during the previous campaign.
The Gunners have made a lot of additions to the team this summer, with the biggest name of the bunch being former Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus.
The Brazilian was later joined by former City teammate Oleksandr Zinchenko, FC Porto attacker Fábio Vieira and American goalkeeper Matt Turner as other notable signings.
Jesus and the Gunners have hit the ground running with a successful preseason campaign, so they hope it carries over into the EPL start.
By The Numbers
- -5.1 — On the road in 2021-22, the Gunners finished with this negative xGDiff during EPL play.
- 2 — Only Chelsea (27) earned more points than Arsenal (22) in London derbies last season, which was good enough for runner-up in the category.
Betting Analysis & Pick
Coming into the new season, these are teams that I have high expectations for, but I think oddsmakers are overvaluing the visitors in the opener. So, I’m backing Crystal Palace getting +0.5 goals on the Asian Handicap at +100 odds via BetMGM as my top betting pick.
The Eagles ended the year sixth in the EPL table in xGDiff, which was just one spot behind the Gunners. This is also the same team that took four points from two matches against Arsenal last season.
When you add in the performances against the Big 6 clubs at Selhurst Park, this number is too great to pass up on Crystal Palace to get a result in the first game of the campaign.
The Pick: Crystal Palace +0.5 (+100)