Sunday Horse Racing Odds & Picks: Best Bets from Santa Anita, Gulfstream (May 31)
Keith Birmingham/MediaNews Group/Pasadena Star-News via Getty Images.
Another exciting day of horse racing is on deck, with several tracks featuring big cards and deep fields that could lead to some big payouts at the window.
Sticking with what’s become my Sunday tradition, I am focusing on Santa Anita Park and Gulfstream Park.
I have also thrown in some bonus action for everyone at Churchill Downs and Laurel Park, which returned to action Saturday in Maryland.
Lets take a look at the featured plays:
Sunday Horse Racing Best Bets
Time: 4:02 p.m. ET
This might be the toughest race on the card to handicap, but I really like No. 4 Mystery Messenger (4-1) to outclass this field on the turf course.
Trainer Doug O’Neill has his charge back on the Santa Anita grass, where he picked up a win at this 5 1/2-furlong sprint distance. Jockey Umberto Rispoli is aboard Mystery Messenger, who has Beyer Speed Figures of 73-81-88 in his last three races. Those numbers put him right in thick of things.
Play Mystery Messenger across the board in your Win-Place-Show wagering and on top of your exotic action with No. 3 Blackout at 3-1 odds. I am using No. 1 Raul Rosas (5-2), No. 2 Whatwasithinking (4-1) and No. 5 Spanish Hombre on the back end of my exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $4 Win/Place/Show: No. 4 Mystery Messenger (4-1) — $12 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 3/4 over 1/3/4/5 — $24 Ticket
- $2 trifecta wager: 3/4 over 1/3/4 over 1/2/3/4/5 — $24 Ticket
Time: 6:10 p.m. ET
My top selection in this 5 1/2-furlong turf sprint for fillies and mares is No. 9 Rakassah (2-1), who gets jockey Flavien Prat to ride.
The post draw is something of a concern due to the race’s distance, but trainer Phil D’Amato knows his horse is facing lesser company this time around and should be in prime position to pounce coming down the stretch. Rakassah has back-to-back Beyer Speed Figures of 64, which should be good enough to win against this group with anything close to a repeat performance of those numbers.
I am playing Rakassah across the board in Win-Place-Show wagering and on top of my exacta and trifecta wagers with No. 5 Sandal (7-2), who debuts for trainer Mike McCarthy. Throw No. 2 Into Victory (15-1), No. 3 Fabiolla (6-1) and No. 6 Sweet And Cheeky (4-1) underneath in those exotics.
- $5 Win/Place/Show: No. 9 Rakassah (2-1) — $15 Ticket
- $3 exacta wager: 5/9 over 2/5/6/9 — $18 Ticket
- $2 trifecta wager: 5/9 over 2/5/6/9 over 2/3/5/6/9 — $36 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Santa Anita
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 2,3 / 1,2,3,4 ($3 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 6-7-8): 2,5,9 / 1,2 / 1,4,5,7,8 ($1 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Time: 1:15 p.m. ET
This Maiden Special Weight event is a wide-open affair, going five furlongs on the turf. There are several in here who could wind up victorious, but I am making No. 8 Royal Approval (8-5) my top selection.
Jockey Edgard Zayas gets in the saddle for trainer Wesley Ward, who has been working the promising 2-year-old filly leading up to the race. Royal Approval looks to have a major turn of foot and should sit a garden trip coming for home.
I am playing Royal Approval across the board and will use her on top of my exacta and trifecta wagers with No. 3 Campanelle (9-5), who is another Ward entrant. Plug No. 5 Ride The Curl (30-1), No. 7 Kodiak Mamba (5-1) and No. 11 The Zip Factor (7-2) underneath in your exotics.
- $5 Win/Place/Show: No. 8 Royal Approval (8-5) — $15 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 3/8 over 3/7/8/11 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 3/8 over 3/7/8/11 over 3/5/7/8/11 — $27 Ticket
Time: 3:49 p.m. ET
I am making No. 12 Miss My Macho (3-1) my top selection in this $23,000 Claiming race for 3-year-old fillies going 1 1/6th miles on the turf course.
Jockey Luca Panici climbs aboard Miss My Macho for trainer Kathy Ritvo, who led Mucho Macho Man to victory in the 2013 Breeders’ Cup Classic. The outside draw is of some concern for the connections, but I expect Panici to get his horse in good position entering the clubhouse turn and clear of any potential issues.
Play Miss My Macho across the board and on top of your exacta wager with No. 9 Lady Noguez (7-2), who gets Paco Lopez in the irons. Put No. 7 Wicked Solution (9-2) and No. 8 A Beautiful Day (8-1) underneath the two favorites in this ultra-competitive race.
- $8 Win/Place/Show: No. 12 Miss My Macho (3-1) — $24 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 9/12 over 7/8/9/12 — $24 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Gulfstream
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 3,4,6,7,8 / 3,8 ($2.50 Daily Double = $25 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9): 7,9,12 / 1,2,4,6 / 1,3,5,6,9 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Churchill Downs
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 5,8,9,10 / 2,3,6,8,9 ($1.50 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 8-9-10): 2,3,712 / 2,4,7 / 1,2,4,7.10 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Laurel Park
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 1,6 / 1,7,9 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 5-6-7): 2,6,8,9 / 4,7,10 / 6,7,10,12,13 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)