Sunday Horse Racing Picks & Best Bets: Handicapping 3 Races at Belmont (June 14)
Horsephotos/Getty Images. Pictured: 2019 Belmont Stakes
It has been an exciting week of horse racing thus far and things should continue to heat up today across North American tracks.
We are keeping our attention focused on Belmont Park, which features another deep and interesting 10-race card, including the $100,000 Mike Lee Stakes.
Here are the highlighted plays at “Big Sandy,” along with some featured multi-race wagers at Santa Anita Park and north of the border at Woodbine in Canada.
Time: 2:55 p.m. ET
My top selection in this $39,000 Maiden Claiming event is No. 2 More Mango (7-2), who heads to the gate for trainer Jonathan Thomas.
The 3-year-old filly by More Than Ready drops in class for her second career start after a fifth-place finish on March 7 at Tampa Bay Downs. Thomas, who named jockey Javier Castellano to ride, drops in class and should greatly improve in her sophomore try.
GOLF PROMOS FOR THIS WEEKEND! Bet $50, Win $100 if your golfer makes ONE birdie and Bet $10, Win $50 if ANYONE birdies 18 on Sunday!
I am playing More Mango across the board and boxing her in an exacta with No. 4 Ocean Fire (6-5), No. 5 Fleet Stepper (6-1) and No. 7 Matador Moon at 10-1 odds.
Put More Mango and Ocean Fire on top of your exacta and trifecta wagers, with the other contenders — along with No. 3 Simply Miss Red at 8-1 odds — on the back end of the plays.
- $4 Win/Place/Show: No. 1 More Mango (7-2) — $12 Ticket
- $2 exacta box wager: 1/4/5/7 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 1/4 over 1/4/5/7 over 1/3/4/5/7— $27 Ticket
Time: 5:04 p.m. ET
This is an awfully difficult $68,000 Allowance Optional Claiming event, going 6 1/2 furlongs on the dirt track.
You could go several different ways in this eight-horse field, but I am backing No. 1 Sadie Lady (3-1) as my top choice. Jockey Kendrick Carmouche is going to have Sadie Lady on the lead right out of the gate and her controlling speed should allow her to dictate the race’s tempo. Carmouche could have her loose on the front end, putting her in prime position to pick up the victory.
I am playing her across the board in my Win-Place-Show wagers and on top of my exotics with No. 8 Finding Fame (5-2), who goes out for trainer Shug McGaughey.
Use No. 2 Regal Retort (6-1), No. 6 Honor Way (5-1) and No. 7 Fair Regis (7-2) underneath in your exacta and trifecta plays.
- $5 Win/Place/Show: No. 1 Sadie Lady (3-1) — $12 Ticket
- $2 exacta wager: 1/8 over 1/6/7/8 — $24 Ticket
- $1 trifecta wager: 1/8 over 1/6/7/8 over 1/2/6/7/8 — $18 Ticket
Race 9: Mike Lee Stakes
Time: 5:36 p.m. ET
Our featured race of the day is the $100,000 Mike Lee Stakes, which is scheduled to go seven furlongs on the dirt track.
I am backing No. 4 Dream Bigger (2-1), who has been tabbed the morning-line favorite in this eight-horse field. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez sends out his charge by Mission Impazible after his win in the Damon Runyon Stakes back in March at Aqueduct.
Jockey Jose Ortiz replaces Junior Alvarado in the saddle, which is kind of interesting in my opinion due to the success the duo had in that prior stakes event. However, Ortiz is one of the best in the country and getting him in the irons is an upgrade.
Play Dream Bigger across the board and on top of your exotics with No. 3 Gandy Dancing (9-2), who goes out for trainer Chad Brown. Use No. 1 Mission Wrapitup (12-1), No. 2 City Man (5-1), No. 6 Captain Bombastic (5-2) and No. 7 Listentoyourheart (20-1) underneath in your exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $9 Win/Place/Show: No. 4 Dream Bigger (2-1) — $27 Ticket
- $3 exacta wager: 3/4 over 2/3/4/6 — $18 Ticket
- $2 trifecta wager: 3/4 over 3/4/6 over 1/2/3/4/6/7 — $32 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Belmont Park
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 3,4,6,7,8,9 / 2,4,10 ($1.50 Daily Double = $27 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 8 and 9): 1,8 / 2,3,4,6,7 ($2.50 Daily Double = $25 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 8-9-10): 1,6,7,8 / 2,3,4,6,7 / 3,8,12 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Santa Anita Park
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 4,5,6 / 1,3,5,7,9 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9): 1,3,5 / 2,4,8,9,10 / 1,4,5,6,7 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $37.50 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Woodbine
- Pick 3 (Races 1-2-3): 2,3,5,10 / 7,10 / 1,2,3,4,5,6 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $24 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 2 and 3): 7,10 / 1,2,3,4,5,6 ($2.50 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 9 and 10): 3,4,5 / 3,6,7,8,10 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)