Horse Racing Picks & Best Exotic to Bet on Sunday: 2 Races to Play at Belmont Park (June 28, 2020)
Photo credit: Al Bello, Getty Images.
- Sunday's horse racing slate is stacked with action, particularly at Belmont Park in New York, where the Bouwerie Stakes highlights the nine-race slate.
- Looking for horse racing picks? You've come to the right place, as Jeremy Pond picks out a few to-win bets and exotics that have value on Sunday.
Another big week of horse racing is about to come to a close, but not before several marquee cards take place today across North America.
We focus our attention again on Belmont Park in New York, where the Bouwerie Stakes highlights the nine-race slate.
Here are the featured plays at “Big Sandy,” along with numerous multi-race wagers for Gulfstream Park, Woodbine and Lone Star Park in Texas.
Let’s take a look:
Time: 2:55 p.m. ET
My top selection in this $40,000 Claiming event is No. 1 Frosted Rose (9-2), who gets jockey Manny Franco in the irons.
Trainer Michael Trombetta sends out the 3-year-old son of Oxbow after close to a four-month layoff. Frosted Rose was last seen running fourth in a Starter Optional Claiming race in February at Tampa Bay Downs. She put up the second-best Equibase Speed Figure (78) of her career that day and has improved on that number in her last two outings.
Franco will likely put him right off the early leaders with that rail draw in this six-furlong sprint on the Inner Turf course, which should get him in perfect position as they hit the top of the stretch.
I am playing Frosted Rose across the board in my Win-Place-Show wagering and boxing him in an exacta with No. 3 Unprecedented (8-1), No. 6 Hurricane Hill (8-5) and No. 7 Deputy Flag at 7-2 odds. I will use Frosted Rose and Hurricane Hill on top of my trifecta and put the others, along with No. 8 Wild William at 4-1 odds, underneath the play.
- $4 Win/Place/Show: No. 1 Frosted Rose (9-2)— $12 Ticket
- $2 exacta box wager: 1/3/6/7 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 1/6 over 1/3/6/7 over 1/3/6/7/8— $27 Ticket
Race 8 (Bouwerie Stakes)
Time: 5:04 p.m. ET
Trainer Jeremiah Englehart has the two favorites in this $100,000 stakes event, scheduled for seven furlongs on the dirt track.
Most of the money is going to come in on No. 1 Critical Value, who is the morning line favorite at 6-5 odds. Jockey Junior Alvarado climbs aboard the daughter of Bodemeister, who really is the class of the field after putting together a stellar 2-year-old campaign under Englehart’s guidance.
And while it does look like she has a significant edge on paper, I am going to back Englehart’s other charge, No. 4 Risky Mischief (3-1), as my top selection. This will be only the third start of her career, which includes her disappointing effort in the Grade I Spinaway Stakes back in September at Saratoga Race Course. I think the layoff is going to suit her well, and her works coming in have been decent to warrant her as my top pick.
Add in the fact jockey Jose Ortiz gets in the saddle, and I am confident she will get the job done against her five rivals.
Play Risky Mischief across the board and on top of your exotics with Critical Value. Throw No. 2 Ilchester Cheetah (6-1) and No. 6 Big Q (7-2) on the back end of your exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $8 Win/Place/Show: No. 4 Risky Mischief (3-1) — $24 Ticket
- $4 exacta wager: 1/4 over 1/2/4/6 — $24 Ticket
- $1 trifecta box wager: 1/2/4/6— $24 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Belmont Park
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 2,3,5,7 / 1,3,7 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 8 and 9): 1,4,6 / 1,4,6,9,10,11 ($1.50 Daily Double = $27 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 3-4-5): 1,4,6,7 / 1,6,7 / 2,4,6 ($1 Pick 3 = $36 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Gulfstream Park
- Daily Double (Races 5 and 6): 4,5,6 / 2,5,7,8 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 8-9-10): 1,4,6,7 / 3,5,6,7 / 2,6,7,8 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $32 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Woodbine
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 1,4 / 2,4,5,7,8 ($2 Daily Double = $20 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 3 and 4): 2,6,7 / 1,3,7,8 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 8-9-10): 3,5,6,7 / 4,6,7,8 / 1,4,7 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $24 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Lone Star Park
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 1,3,8,11 / 3,4,7 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 5-6-7): 3,4,7 / 1,4,10,13 / 2,3,6 ($1 Pick 3 = $36 Ticket)