European Soccer Forecast: Projected Odds, Totals for Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and More (Dec. 19-22)
Matthew Ashton – AMA/Getty Images. Pictured: Christian Pulisic
After a slew of midweek matches, Europe’s five major soccer leagues are right back at it this weekend for a third round of fixtures in the past seven days. Here’s what we saw during the week:
- Roberto Firmino scored a 90th-minute winner against Tottenham to send Liverpool to the top of the Premier League table.
- Manchester City was held to a 1-1 draw with 19th-place West Brom, dropping City to ninth. West Brom sacked manager Slaven Bilic and replaced him with Sam Allardyce.
- Pedro Neto scored a 94th-minute winner for Wolves to pull off the upset at home over Chelsea.
- Barcelona beat Real Sociedad at home, 2-1, moving them up to fifth in the La Liga table.
- Lyon were held to a 2-2 draw at home with Brest, allowing both Lille and PSG to jump ahead of them in the Ligue 1 table.
- Inter beat Napoli, 1-0, at home, to move within one point of the league-leaders and their inner0city rivals AC Milan.
- Juventus were held to a 1-1 draw at home with Atalanta to remain in third place in the Serie A table.
For most clubs, they will be playing their third match in a 10-day period, so managers will rotate their squads to rest certain players. Therefore, it may be a good idea to wait until starting lineups come out before heading to the window.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines, and follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Premier League Notes:
- Southampton vs. Manchester City: It’s rare that the club in ninth place is a -215 favorite over the third-place team in the table, but that is where we are at. Manchester City desperately need this match after drawing with West Brom on Tuesday. Southampton has won four of their last five matches at home and defeated Manchester City, 1-0, at the Saint Mary’s Stadium during the restart last season.
- Tottenham vs. Leicester: After both clubs lost during the week, they will try to stay inside the top four on Sunday. Leicester has won five of their first six matches on the road in Premier League play.
Premier League Injury News
- Arsenal: Gabriel (CB), Hector Bellerin (RB), Granit Xhaka (CM), and Thomas Partey (CM) are out against Everton.
- Aston Villa: Ross Barkley (CAM) is questionable to face West Brom.
- Burnley: Jack Cork (CM) and Johann Gudmundsson (CM) are questionable to face Wolves.
- Chelsea: Hakim Ziyech (RW) is out against West Ham.
- Crystal Palace: Cristian Benteke (ST) and Mamadou Sakho (CB) are out against Liverpool.
- Everton: Lucas Digne (LB), Fabian Delph (LB) and James Rodrigues (CM) are out against Arsenal. Seamus Coleman (RM) is questionable.
- Leicester: Caglar Soyuncu (CB) and Daniel Armartey (CM) are both out against Tottenham.
- Liverpool: Diogo Jota (CF), Virgil Van Dijk (CB), Joe Gomez (CB), Naby Keita (CM), and Thiago (CM) are out against Crystal Palace. Joel Matip (CB) is questionable.
- Newcastle: Jamaal Lascellas (CB) and Allen Saint-Maximum (ST) are doubtful to face Fulham.
- Sheffield United: Oliver McBurnie (ST) and Jack O’Connell (CB) are out against Manchester United.
- Wolves: Raul Jimenez (ST) is out and Willy Boly (CB) is questionable to play against Burnley.
- Bayer Leverkusen vs. Bayern Munich: Leverkusen will look to hold onto the top spot in the Bundesliga table on Saturday when they face the eight-time defending champions Bayern Munich. Leverkusen is unbeaten in Bundesliga play and have won eight of their last nine matches, so this will perhaps be Bayern Munich’s toughest match of the season in domestic play.
Bundesliga Injury News:
- Augsburg: Iago (LB) is questionable to face Frankfurt.
- Bayern Munich: Joshua Kimmich (CM) and Niklas Sule (CB) are out against Wolfsburg.
- Bayer Leverkusen: Charles Aranguiz (CM) and Sven Bender (CB) are out against Bayern Munich.
- Borussia Dortmund: Erling Haaland (ST) and Thorgan Hazard (CAM) are out against Union Berlin.
- Borussia Monchengladbach: Florian Neuhaus (CM) is out and Jonas Hoffman (RM) is questionable to play against Frankfurt.
- Freiburg: Janik Haberer (CM) is out against Hertha Berlin.
- Koln: Florian Kainz (RM) is questionable against RB Leipzig.
- Werder Bremen: Davie Selke (ST) is out against Mainz.
- Wolfsburg: Renato Steffen (LM) is out against Vfb Stuttgart.
Serie A Notes:
- Atalanta vs. Roma: Roma will need a result against Atalanta to stay inside of the top four. Roma have won five of their last seven matches in Serie A, while Atalanta have only one win in their last four matches at home.
- Lazio vs. Napoli: After losing on the road at Inter Milan, Napoli will try to get back inside the top four on Sunday against Lazio. Napoli has won six of the last seven matches against Lazio. Also, Lazio have dropped two straight matches at home.
Serie A Injury News
- Bologna: Riccardo Orsolini (RM) is out against Torino.
- Crotone: Luca Cigarini (CM) is questionable to face Sampdoria.
- Genoa: Cristian Zapata (CB) is questionable to face Benevento.
- Inter: Arturo Vidal (CM) is questionable to face Napoli.
- Juventus: Arthur (CM) is out against Parma.
- Lazio: Luca Leiva (CM) is questionable to face Napoli.
- Napoli: Victor Osimhen (ST) is questionable to face Lazio. Lorenzo Insigne (CF) and Dries Mertens (CF).
- Sampdoria: Manuel Gabbiadini (CAM) is out and Keita Balde (RW) is questionable to face Crotone.
- Torino: Simone Verdi (ST) is questionable to play against Bologna.
- Udinese: Rodrigo De Paul (CM) is out against Cagliari.
- Verona: Nikola Kalinic (ST) is questionable to face Sampdoria. Antonin Barak (CAM) is out.
La Liga Injuries:
- Athletic Bilbao: Raul Garcia (CAM) is out against Huesca.
- Atletico Madrid: Jose Gimenez (CB) is out against Elche.
- Barcelona: Gerard Pique (CB) is questionable and Sergi Roberto (RB) and Ansu Fati (LW) are out against Valencia.
- Cadiz: Jose Mari (CM) is questionable to face Getafe.
- Real Betis: Sergio Canales (CM) is questionable to face Granada.
- Real Sociedad: David Silva (CAM) and Adnan Januzaj (LM) are questionable to face Levante.
- Sevilla: Jesus Navas (RB) is questionable to face Real Valladolid.
- Valencia: Jasper Cillessen (GK) is questionable to face Barcelona.
Ligue 1 Notes:
- Lille vs. PSG: The two top teams in France square off at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy with the first place on the line. Lille lead PSG by one point and has lost only one match this season. In fact, Lille have only lost two of their last 23 matches at home dating back to last season. However, PSG have won seven of their last eight matches against Lille in Ligue 1 play.
Ligue 1 Injuries:
- Bordeaux: Laurent Koscielny (CB) is out against Strasbourg.
- Brest: Paul Lasne (CM) is out against Montpellier.
- Lille: Renato Sanches (CM) is out against PSG.
- Monaco: Axel Disasi (CB) and Cesc Fabregas (CM) are out against Dijon.
- Nice: Youcef Atal (RB) and Kasper Dolberg (ST) are questionable to play against Lyon.
- PSG: Neymar (CF), Mauro Icardi (ST), and Marquinhos (CB) are questionable to play against Lille.
- Reims: Xavier Chavalerin (CM) is questionable to face Nantes.
- Rennes: Alfred Gomis (GK), Romain Del Castillo (RW), and Daniele Rugani (CB) are questionable to face Lorient.
- Saint Etienne: Panagiotis Retsos (CB) is questionable to face Nimes.