Projecting Chargers RB Joshua Kelley’s Fantasy Upside
Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images. Pictured: Joshua Kelley
Chargers RB Joshua Kelley Dynasty Rookie Analysis
- Draft Position: 4.112 | School: UCLA
- Height: 5’11” | Weight: 212 pounds
- 40-yard dash: 4.49 seconds
- 2020 Age: 23 | Class: Redshirt Senior
- Recruitment Stars: 2-3
Kelley is a physical, straight-ahead runner who will likely slot on as the big-bodied backup and change-of-pace short-yardage grinder to No. 1 back Austin Ekeler.
Overlooked coming out of high school, Kelley played two years at Cal-Davis as a backup before transferring to UCLA, redshirting per NCAA rules and then stepping up to play as the No. 1 back for his two final seasons.
- 2015 (10 games): 106-530-3 rushing, 1-10-0 receiving, 22-574-0 kick returning
- 2016 (11 games): 87-609-4 rushing, 3-11-0 receiving, 23-559-1 kick returning
- 2018 (11 games): 225-1,243-12 rushing, 27-193-0 receiving
- 2019 (11 games): 229-1,060-12 rushing, 11-71-1 receiving
He’s not much of a receiver, but Ekeler will handle most of the pass-catching workload anyway.
In the RV Combine Explorer, the back to whom he’s most physically comparable is Miles Sanders. If Kelley somehow gets the starting job, he’ll have some upside.
NFL Prospect Comp: Jamaal Williams with more speed
More Dynasty Analysis For Freedman’s Top Rookies
- Chiefs RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
- Rams RB Cam Akers
- Colts RB Jonathan Taylor
- Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy
- Cowboys WR CeeDee Lamb
Matthew Freedman is the Editor-in-Chief of FantasyLabs, part of The Action Network.