Final 2019 College Football Bowl Projections: 79 Teams Eligible for 78 Spots
Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Dustin Crum
- We've updated our college football bowl projections as the regular season comes to a close.
- There are 79 bowl eligible teams in college football for 78 spots.
- The 6-6 MAC teams got a big boost on Friday when TCU lost to West Virginia and fell to 5-7, but Boston College's upset win at Pitt will likely keep one out..
Eight college football teams entered Saturday hoping to get bowl eligible. Four got it done, and four didn’t.
The regular season ended with 79 teams with six wins, and 78 bowl spots up for grabs. That means one team (probably a 6-6 MAC team) is getting left out,.
- IN: Boston College (Won at Pitt)
- IN: Liberty (Won vs. New Mexico State)
- IN: Michigan State (Won vs. Maryland)
- IN: North Carolina (Won at NC State)
- OUT: Army (+3 at Hawaii)
- OUT: Oregon State (Lost at Oregon)
- OUT: Colorado (Lost at Utah)
- OUT: UL Monroe (Lost at UL-Lafayette)
Liberty had six wins, but only one of its FCS wins counts toward bowl eligibility, so Saturday’s win made the Flames bowl eligible.
Army was in the same situation, so it needed to beat Hawaii and Navy to get bowl eligible, but lost to the Rainbow Warriors on Saturday night.
Below you’ll find the projections for every bowl game below, which we’ll update throughout the day on Saturday, plus projected point spreads on those matchups via our oddsmaker-style power ratings. Action EDGE members can use them to make a line between any two teams.
2019 College Football Bowl Projections
CFP & New Year’s Six Bowls
There’s still plenty to be decided in the New Year’s Six realm, but much of it won’t be played out until conference championship games next weekend.
- The Big Ten’s Rose Bowl bid goes to the highest-ranked team remaining, which could be Penn State. The Badgers are No. 8 in the latest CFP rankings, while the Nittany Lions are No. 10. If Saturday’s Big Ten Championship Game is close, I think Wisconsin gets it. But in a blowout, PSU will.
- If Oklahoma wins out and gets into the playoff, Baylor would take the Sugar Bowl spot.
- There’s a bunch of teams vying for the Group of Five’s top New Year’s spot, but it’s Memphis’s to lose right now since the Tigers will be a touchdown favorite in the AAC title game.
Utah is far from a lock for that No. 4 spot, but the Utes could slide in if they win the Pac-12 title. Alabama’s loss to Auburn certainly helps Utah’s case, and Utes fans should be rooting hard for Baylor against Oklahoma.
However, the committee moving the Bears to No. 7 and Oregon to No. 13 says that an Oklahoma win will mean more than a Utah win this weekend.
Every Other Bowl Game
This has been a weird year for the SEC, which won’t be able to fill many of its bowl spots because four teams could get New Year’s Six spots and the bottom of the league was weaker than expected. Oh, and Missouri is ineligible.
Therefore, the Music City Bowl and Belk Bowl are particularly tough to project. The SEC gets a Music City Bowl spot vs. the Big Ten assuming the Gator Bowl prefers an ACC team (it has first pick in 2019).
But again, there may only be four or five SEC teams for eight non-NY6 bowl spots. After Alabama fell to No. 12 in the CFP rankings, we moved the Tide out of a NY6 bowl and into the Outback Bowl vs. Minnesota.
With 79 teams bowl eligible, one will get left out. Right now we’re banking on Kent State, but it could conceivably be any Group of Five team with six wins.
Action EDGE members can use our betting-style power ratings to project point spreads between any two teams, including conference title games and bowl games.
Updated 10 a.m. ET on Wednesday
2019 Bowl Game Tie-Ins
Peach Bowl — CFP Semifinal
Fiesta Bowl — CFP Semifinal
Sugar Bowl — SEC vs. Big 12
Rose Bowl — Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Orange Bowl — ACC vs. SEC/Big Ten/ND
Cotton Bowl — at-large vs. at-large
Mobile Bowl — MAC vs. Sun Belt
Armed Forces Bowl — Big Ten vs. Mountain West
Potato Bowl — MAC vs. Mountain West
Gator Bowl — Big Ten vs. SEC
Birmingham Bowl — American vs. SEC
Citrus Bowl — ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC
Outback Bowl — Big Ten vs. SEC
Alamo Bowl — Big 12 vs. Pac-12
Arizona Bowl — Mountain West vs. Sun Belt
Liberty Bowl — Big 12 vs. SEC
Sun Bowl — ACC vs. Pac-12
Belk Bowl — ACC vs. SEC
Redbox Bowl — Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Music City Bowl — ACC vs. SEC
First Responder Bowl — Big 12 vs. C-USA
Camping World Bowl — ACC vs. Big 12
Cheez-It Bowl — Big 12 vs. Pac-12
Holiday Bowl — Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Texas Bowl — Big 12 vs. SEC
Pinstripe Bowl — ACC vs. Big Ten
Military Bowl — ACC vs. American
Quick Lane Bowl — ACC vs. Big Ten
Independence Bowl — ACC vs. SEC
Hawaii Bowl — BYU vs. American
Gasparilla Bowl — American/ACC vs. C-USA
New Orleans Bowl — C-USA vs. Sun Belt
Las Vegas Bowl — Mountain West vs. Pac-12
Camellia Bowl — MAC vs. Sun Belt
Boca Raton Bowl — American/C-USA/MAC
Cure Bowl — American vs. Sun Belt
New Mexico Bowl — C-USA vs. Mountain West
Frisco Bowl — American vs. C-USA/MAC/Mountain West
Bahamas Bowl — C-USA vs. MAC