Backyard Brawl By The Numbers: How West Virginia and Pittsburgh have Fared Against the Spread
Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images. Pictured: Pat White and Jemeel Brady.
The Backyard Brawl is one of the longest running rivalries in college football.
Since then, the two schools — which are separated by just 79 miles — have clashed 104 times. The Panthers lead the all-time series 60-41-3.
However, it's been over 10 years since these schools have gone head-to-head on the gridiron after both teams departed the Big East.
Now, they'll face each other in the season opener on Thursday night. Pittsburgh opened as a 6.5-point favorite and the line has continued to move in their direction. The Panthers are listed as 8-point favorites at most sportsbooks, as of Wednesday night.
Let's take a look at how these two teams have fared against each other in terms of the spread.
Last 10 Matchups
|2011||West Virginia -7||58.5||PITT 20 – WVU 21|
|2010||Pittsburgh -3||42||WVU 35 – PITT 10|
|2009||Pittsburgh -1||48||PITT 16 – WVU 19|
|2008||West Virginia -2.5||49||WVU 15 – PITT 19|
|2007||West Virginia -28.5||59||PITT 13 – WVU 9|
|2006||West Virginia -10||52.5||WVU 45 – PITT 27|
|2005||West Virginia -14||44||PITT 13 – WVU 45|
|2004||West Virginia -3||53.5||WVU 13 – PITT 16|
|2003||West Virginia -1||52.5||PITT 31 – WVU 52|
|2002||Pittsburgh -3||44||WVU 24 – PITT 17|
Trends to Note
- West Virginia is 7-3 SU in the past 10 matchups between the two teams.
- The under is 4-1 in the past five matchups and 6-4 in the past 10 matchups.
- The underdog has covered the spread in the past five matchups.
- The underdog is 7-3 ATS in the past 10 matchups. The underdog has won straight-up in six of those seven games.
- West Virginia has been the underdog in three of the past 10 matchups. The Mountaineers have won all three of those games straight up. They are an 8-point underdog on Thursday night.