2020 Ohio Democratic Primary Odds: Biden Strong Favorite to Win Important Swing State
Photo credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images. Pictured: Joe Biden platform in Ohio
- The betting favorite in all four states voting in the 2020 Democratic Primary on Tuesday, Joe Biden is large -5000 favorite to secure the most delegates in Ohio.
- The odds give the former vice president a 90.7% implied probability of winning; he's a similar favorite to win the nomination currently.
- Bernie Sanders is down to a +1000 underdog, giving him just an 8.4% implied probability of winning.
Despite the threat of COVID-19 in the United States, the four states currently slated to vote in the 2020 Democratic primary on Tuesday, March 17 — Arizona, Florida, Illinois and Ohio — will still hold the elections.
The race is now down to just three candidates: Former vice president Joe Biden, Vermont senator Bernie Sanders and Hawaii rep. Tulsi Gabbard.
Biden remains a heavy favorite to win the nomination, and he’s now even money with President Donald Trump to win the general election in November amidst the current health threat and economic turmoil.
The candidates will compete for 136 total delegates in Ohio, which makes up about 3.4% of the total number in the primary. Biden is currently a massive favorite to win the majority of those delegates; European book Betfair currently gives him -5000 odds (bet $5,000 to win $100) to do so. That’s a juice-free implied probability of 90.7%.
Sanders is down at an implied probability of 8.4%, while Gabbard is at 0.9%.
One way the COVID-19 situation could affect the primary is with the voting age gap: Older citizens are at a higher risk — according to data we’ve seen so far — and there’s a stark gap between support for Biden (generally older) and Sanders (generally much younger). Biden likely has too much of a lead to skew this, but if voter turnout is drastically affected, it could make a difference.
Politics site FiveThirtyEight is right in line with the betting market here, as they give Biden a 97% chance to win Ohio.
See the full Ohio primary odds below (via Betfair). Implied probabilities have the juice removed.
2020 Ohio Democratic Primary Odds
If you’re unfamiliar with betting odds, -5000 means that if you bet $5,000 and Joe Biden wins, you’d profit $100. And +1000 means if you bet $100, you’d profit $1,000.
- Joe Biden: -5000, 90.7% implied probability
- Bernie Sanders: +1000, 8.4% implied probability
- Tulsi Gabbard: +10000, 0.9% implied probability