Trump’s Next Attorney General: Odds Favor Chris Christie, Rudy Giuliani, More
- On Wednesday afternoon, President Trump fired his Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
- At Bovada, Rudy Giuliani and Kris Kobach are co-favorites (+350 odds, 22.2% chance) to be named the next AG.
- At PredictIt, Lindsey Graham (25% chance) and Chris Christie (18% chance) are the two most popularly traded candidates.
The dust has settled on the 2018 Midterm Elections. Unlike in 2016, the bookmakers nailed it, with Democrats winning the House and Republicans retaining control of the Senate, just as the odds predicted.
However, the post-Midterm Election buzz quickly evaporated on Wednesday afternoon when President Trump shocked the political world by firing his oft-maligned Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Trump named Matthew Whitaker, Sessions’ Chief of Staff, the acting Attorney General for the time being.
Right on cue, betting markets posted odds on who will take over as the next full-time Attorney General.
All odds below as of 12:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, Nov. 8.
Who will be the next Attorney General?
- Rudy Giuliani: 22.2% chance (+350 odds)
- Kris Kobach: 22.2% chance (+350)
- Trey Gowdy: 20% chance (+400)
- Alex Azar: 15.4% chance (+550)
- Steven Bradbury: 15.4% chance (+550)
- Bill Barr: 13.3% chance (+650)
- John Sullivan: 11.8% chance (+750)
- Janice Rogers Brown: 11.1% chance (+800)
- Scott Walker: 10% chance (+900)
- Rod Rosenstein: 4.8% chance (+2000)
Odds via Bovada
Two names conspicuously missing from this list: South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
According to reports, both are being considered for the post, along with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.
While all three names are unavailable at Bovada (with no “Field” option listed), PredictIt lists Christie (25% chance) and Graham (22% chance) as the top two contenders.
Interestingly, while PredictIt doesn’t list Kobach as a top-trading option, Smarkets has the former Kansas Secretary of State as the odds-on favorite (22.73%).