MLS Odds, Picks & Prediction: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City Betting Preview
Andrew Bershaw/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images. Pictured: Orlando City goalkeeper Pedro Gallese.
- Atlanta United hosts Orlando City in a Sunday MLS showdown airing live on ABC during a busy slate.
- Heavy favoritism has landed on Atlanta, but analyst Brett Pund has found betting value on the underdog.
- Check out below why he likes Orlando City to cover the spread.
Atlanta vs. Orlando City Odds
|Orlando City Odds||+290|
|Over/Under||2.5 (-160 / +115)|
|Day | Time||Sunday | 3 p.m. ET|
|How To Watch||ABC | fuboTV|
|Odds updated as of Sunday afternoon via BetMGM. Get up-to-the-minute soccer odds here.|
Kicking off Sunday’s slate in Major League Soccer, Atlanta United hosts Orlando City in a nationally-televised match on ABC to highlight the early card.
The home side secured a much-needed victory Wednesday, which ended a run of four fixtures in a row without a win.
However, Orlando enters this fixture higher in the Eastern Conference standings, holding a current playoff spot in fifth on 29 points.
The market seems to be expecting another triumph at home by Atlanta, but I think this is a good spot to back a home underdog to pick up a result.
After the 3-0 loss to Austin FC, star striker Josef Martínez was very outspoken about the poor performances of late, which sparked a great midweek showing.
However, the 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake was just the second victory over the last nine outings in MLS play, which caused rumors to swirl over whether manager Gonzalo Pineda would lose his job.
Injuries have started to catch up to this United team, but this is really a club that should be pushing for postseason play every season.
By The Numbers
- 3 — Only this amount of clubs — Montreal, San Jose and Toronto FC to be exact — have a lower clean-sheet percentage at home compared to Atlanta (20 percent) this season.
- 9 — Pineda’s team has allowed this many set-piece goals during the campaign, which is the third most in the league.
Orlando City might not be a flashy side, but it’s a team that consistently pulls out results in the league and in the US Open Cup.
The Lions qualified for the semifinal round that will be played July 27, which hasn’t taken a toll on their league form up to this point.
Veteran manager Óscar Pareja has his team squarely in the hunt for the postseason and has an excellent opportunity to pick up a trophy along the way.
By The Numbers
- 1 — The Lions (five) have become draw specialists away from home, with only Columbus (six) finishing with more ties on the road.
- 8 — Orlando has the fifth-most goals from set pieces, while tying with Nashville for the most away from home (five) during the campaign.
Betting Analysis & Pick
When I look at the odds for this match, the bookmakers have favored the hosts too much in my opinion. That said, I’m backing Orlando City getting +0.5 goals on the Asian Handicap at -105 odds via BetMGM as my top pick.
This is the same team that has avoided defeat on the road against Portland, Austin FC and the Los Angeles Galaxy, which are all better than Atlanta.
Also, you need to make sure to keep an eye out for any rotation in the lineups following the midweek trip to Colorado. However, if the regulars are available, I think the road side has a great shot of picking up points.
The Pick: Orlando City +0.5 (-105)