Premier League Odds, Betting Picks for Saturday: Wolverhampton vs. Brighton, Southampton vs. Newcastle
DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images. Pictured: Raúl Jiménez
- Updated Premier League odds list Southhampton as a favorite over New Castle, and Wolverhampton as a favorite over Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday afternoon.
- Jeremy Pond sees value in both games, playing the total in one and a moneyline in the other.
- Get our Saturday EPL betting picks below.
Premier League action returns this weekend, with a full slate of games on deck.
Several teams are still in the hunt for Champions League berths and have everything to play for despite Liverpool running away at the top of the table. Others are just trying to avoid relegation and finishing among the bottom three clubs at the completion of the season.
Two clubs who are clear of the relegation zone, yet nowhere near the top of the table, go at it Saturday when Southampton hosts Newcastle United at St. Mary’s Stadium.
Newcastle United at Southampton
- Newcastle odds: +440
- Southampton odds: -157
- Draw: +295
- Over/Under: 2.5 (-121/-103)
- Time: Saturday, 10 a.m. ET
Southampton sits in 13th place, boasting a 10-14-4 record in league play that’s good enough for 34 points. Newcastle is just two points back in 14th place with its 8-12-8 mark.
Despite the similarities in the standings, Southampton has a superior total in expected goals (40.62) that’s good enough for eighth in the league. In contrast, Newcastle is last out of 20 teams with 22.57 expected goals.
Southampton enters this match looking to right the ship after suffering a 3-1 defeat against West Ham in its last outing. That setback marked the fourth time the Saints had lost in their last six league matches.
Newcastle will be riding a touch of momentum heading into this showdown, fresh off a 3-2 win against West Bromwich Albion this week in FA Cup action. It was a welcomed performance from the Magpies, who have struggled terribly in league play, winning just two of their last 12 games and going 2-6-4 during that stretch. Newcastle has also been shut out in its last four league games.
Newcastle United vs. Southampton Tale of the Tape
- Southampton is unbeaten in its last six home matches against Newcastle across all competitions
- Newcastle is winless in its last six road Premier League matches
- Southampton has just four wins in 14 home league contests this season
- The total has gone over 2.5 goals in nine of the last 10 matches between these clubs across all competitions
This is a tough match to forecast in regard to picking a side. These clubs have not had issues finding the back of the net when facing each other, so I am going to back the total going over the number. Add in the fact Newcastle has never gone five consecutive Premier League matches without a goal and I am going to play both sides to score as well.
The Bets: Total Over 2.5 Goals (-121); Both Teams To Score (-125) [Bet now at DraftKings. NJ, PA, IN and WV only.]
Brighton & Hove Albion at Wolverhampton
- Brighton & Hove Albion odds: +460
- Wolverhampton odds: -162
- Draw: +295
- Over/Under: 2.5 (+102/-127)
- Time: Saturday, 10 a.m. ET
Things are heating up for Wolverhampton in league play and it hopes to continue a recent run of solid results with Saturday’s match against Brighton & Hove Albion.
Wolves is in the thick of the Champions League race, currently sitting in sixth place on the table and just three points behind Chelsea in fourth place. The club is actually tied with Manchester United on 42 points, but is tucked behind it due to the goal-differential tiebreaker.
Wolverhampton, currently seventh in the league in expected goals (43.36), has won two consecutive matches, with its most recent triumph coming last week in a 3-2 road win at Tottenham Hotspur.
On the other side, Brighton looks to give itself a cushion in the points column and move further away from the relegation zone in this showdown. The Seagulls, who are ninth in the league with 38.55 expected goals, are sitting in 15th place on 28 points, which has them just a point from the bottom three in the league.
Brighton has struggled mightily as of late, going winless in its last nine matches (0-4-5) across all competitions. The last time the Seagulls won was on December 28 in a 2-0 home victory against AFC Bournemouth.
- Brighton is unbeaten in 10 of its last 11 matches against Wolverhampton across all competitions
- The total has gone under 2.5 goals in seven of Wolverhampton’s last eight home contests against Brighton across all competition
- Wolverhampton is unbeaten in six of its last seven league tilts
- The total has gone under 2.5 goals in Brighton’s last three league games
I really like Wolves to maintain this momentum and continue making that push toward one of the coveted Champions League positions. Wolverhampton might have been blanked in its last three home matches against Brighton, but I see them ending that scoreless drought and picking up all three points.
The Bet: Wolverhampton (-162) [Bet now at DraftKings. NJ, PA, IN and WV only.]