Premier League Odds, Betting Picks for Saturday: Wolverhampton vs. Brighton, Southampton vs. Newcastle
DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images. Pictured: Raúl Jiménez
- Updated Premier League odds list Southhampton as a favorite over New Castle, and Wolverhampton as a favorite over Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday afternoon.
- Jeremy Pond sees value in both games, playing the total in one and a moneyline in the other.
- Get our Saturday EPL betting picks below.
Premier League action returns this weekend, with a full slate of games on deck.
Several teams are still in the hunt for Champions League berths and have everything to play for despite Liverpool running away at the top of the table. Others are just trying to avoid relegation and finishing among the bottom three clubs at the completion of the season.
Two clubs who are clear of the relegation zone, yet nowhere near the top of the table, go at it Saturday when Southampton hosts Newcastle United at St. Mary’s Stadium.
Newcastle United at Southampton
- Newcastle odds: +440
- Southampton odds: -157
- Draw: +295
- Over/Under: 2.5 (-121/-103)
- Time: Saturday, 10 a.m. ET
Southampton sits in 13th place, boasting a 10-14-4 record in league play that’s good enough for 34 points. Newcastle is just two points back in 14th place with its 8-12-8 mark.
Despite the similarities in the standings, Southampton has a superior total in expected goals (40.62) that’s good enough for eighth in the league. In contrast, Newcastle is last out of 20 teams with 22.57 expected goals.
Southampton enters this match looking to right the ship after suffering a 3-1 defeat against West Ham in its last outing. That setback marked the fourth time the Saints had lost in their last six league matches.
Newcastle will be riding a touch of momentum heading into this showdown, fresh off a 3-2 win against West Bromwich Albion this week in FA Cup action. It was a welcomed performance from the Magpies, who have struggled terribly in league play, winning just two of their last 12 games and going 2-6-4 during that stretch. Newcastle has also been shut out in its last four league games.
Newcastle United vs. Southampton Tale of the Tape
- Southampton is unbeaten in its last six home matches against Newcastle across all competitions
- Newcastle is winless in its last six road Premier League matches
- Southampton has just four wins in 14 home league contests this season
- The total has gone over 2.5 goals in nine of the last 10 matches between these clubs across all competitions