Lee Janzen’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: On the Road From Boise to Reno
Michael Madrid, USA Today Sports. Pictured: Lee Janzen
The Action Network spoke with several of golf’s biggest legends find out their favorite personal golf betting stories. In a previous series, we spoke with several of today’s biggest stars about their favorite betting stories. You can find those here.
- Who: Lee Janzen
- When: A Few Years Ago
- Where: On the Road from Boise to Reno
Janzen had been getting the better of fellow pro Ryuji Imada on a series of bets on the golf course. After one of these losses, Imada pressed the bet based on the time it would take Janzen and his caddie to reach the next tournament.
“He wanted to get some money back in Boise. On the front-nine, he kept pressing and I shot 29. He’s just on a bad run.
“Anyway, we were going to drive from Boise to Reno for the tournament. We’d mapped it and said we could make it in less than six hours.
“Ryuji says, ‘There’s no way you make it in less than six hours. I’ll bet you fifty bucks.’
“We drove and stopped at a random place, saw Alex Cejka and chatted a little while. We still got there in less than six hours.
“He didn’t believe it, but I had my receipt from when I dropped my rental car off in Boise and when I checked into the hotel in Reno.
“So, he paid off. But the best part is that he tried to do the same thing and get there in less than six hours, but he got a speeding ticket.”
Other golf gambling stories from legends of the game
- Mark O’Meara’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Tiger Takes Him for a Ride
- Nick Price’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: A Longshot to Remember
- Gary Player’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Arnold Palmer and a South African Goldmine
- Davis Love III’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: No-Bogey Betting at the Open Championship
- Jack Nicklaus’ Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Betting on Himself at Cherry Hills
- Nick Faldo’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Getting into Jack Nicklaus’ Pockets
- Bernhard Langer’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Shaking Down Seve Ballasteros