MLB Win Total Tracker: How All 30 Teams Finished the Regular Season
Sep 4, 2018; Atlanta, GA, USA; Boston Red Sox left fielder J.D. Martinez (28, left) and right fielder Mookie Betts (50) celebrate their win against the Atlanta Braves at SunTrust Park. Mandatory Credit: Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports
- Here's a rundown of all 30 MLB teams and where they stand in relation to their preseason over/unders.
The 2018 MLB regular season has come to an end so let’s see how all 30 MLB teams did in reference to their preseason win total.
How did your bets do?
MLB Win Total Tracker
MLB Opening Win Totals
Houston Astros: 97.5 | Los Angeles Dodgers: 95.5 | New York Yankees: 94.5
Cleveland Indians: 94.5 | Chicago Cubs: 93.5 | Washington Nationals: 93.5
Boston Red Sox: 92 | St. Louis Cardinals: 86 | Arizona Diamondbacks: 85
Los Angeles Angels: 84.5 | Milwaukee Brewers: 83.5 | Minnesota Twins: 83
New York Mets: 82.5 | Seattle Mariners: 81.5 | Colorado Rockies: 81.5
Toronto Blue Jays: 81.5 | San Francisco Giants: 79.5 | Philadelphia Phillies: 78.5
Oakland Athletics: 75.5 | Atlanta Braves: 75 | Texas Rangers: 75
Tampa Bay Rays: 74 | Pittsburgh Pirates: 74 | Cincinnati Reds: 74
Chicago White Sox: 72.5 | San Diego Padres: 72.5 | Baltimore Orioles: 72.5
Kansas City Royals: 70 | Detroit Tigers: 67 | Miami Marlins: 63.5
Odds and Ends
- The 2010 San Diego Padres eclipsed their preseason win total of 71.5 in the 119th game of the year, the quickest to cash in the past decade. The Padres won 90 games that year for the first time since 1998, but failed to make the playoffs.
- In the past five seasons, seven different teams have had their preseason win total decided on the final day of the regular season, including the Los Angeles Angels and St. Louis Cardinals last season.
- No team entered the 2018 MLB regular season with more than two consecutive seasons going over their preseason win total. Seven different teams were at two straight. On the contrary, the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds entered 2018 with the longest streak of consecutive years finishing below their preseason win total — a total of five seasons, since 2013.
- If you are going to win it all, you’d better go over your preseason win total. Since 2004, only two of the 28 eventual World Series participants went under their preseason win total. The 2012 Detroit Tigers were one. They got swept by the San Francisco Giants after winning 88 games, 4.5 games below their preseason win total (92.5). The other was the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals, who defeated the Tigers in five games after winning just 83 games in a weak NL Central, 11 games below their preseason win total (94).