Patriots Draft Picks, Team Needs & First Round Betting Odds
Tim Warner/Getty Images. Pictured: Bill Belichick
Patriots Draft Picks
Patriots Draft Odds
|Position of First Pick||Odds|
Patriots Draft Needs
- QB: The Patriots surprisingly re-signed Newton to a one-year deal after a lackluster 2020 season in which the team ranked 30th in passing yards per game (180.6) behind only the Jets and Ravens. Newton still feels like a stopgap until they find a long term replacement for Tom Brady, however.
- RB: The Patriots have not had a 1,000-yard rusher since LeGarrette Blount in 2016 (1,161 yards). They relied on an underwhelming cast of Damien Harris, Sony Michel and Rex Burkhead in 2020 and could certainly use an upgrade to compliment Newton’s rushing game.
- DL: The Patriots’ defense took a big hit after their outstanding 2019 season due to free agency departures and opt-outs. They ranked 27th in sacks per game (1.5) and allowed the seventh-most rushing yards per game (131.4).
by Chris Raybon
- QB: Cam Newton averaged just 177.1 passing yards with eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 15 starts and can’t be counted on to replicate his rushing production (592 yards, 12 TDs) at age 32.
- WR: Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne and Jakobi Meyers are solid WR3/4s miscast in featured roles while Julian Edelman departed and N’Keal Harry never having arrived.
- CB: The Patriots should field an elite cornerback unit with Stephon Gilmore, J.C. Jackson and Jonathan Jones, but Gilmore turns 31 this season and is coming off his lowest PFF grade since 2013 (61.0).