Michael Chow-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: USA’s Megan Rapinoe
- The top two Women's World Cup favorites will meet on Friday with USA taking on hosts France in the quarterfinal (3 p.m. ET on FOX).
- Early action has pushed USA to -170 to advance and +115 to win in regulation, and bettors will likely continue to back them as the week progresses.
USA are looking for their eighth consecutive semifinal appearance in the Women’s World Cup but will need to get by hosts France to do so.
After dominating the group stage and outscoring opponents 18-0 in wins over Thailand, Chile and Sweden, things were a bit tougher in the Round of 16. Fortunately for the USA, Megan Rapinoe converted on two penalty kicks to beat Spain, 2-1, as -250 favorites.
France also swept the group stage but then needed extra time in the Round of 16 to get by Brazil, 2-1.
Favorites won 30-of-36 matches in the group stage, though only three of six have been victorious in the Round of 16: The USA, France and England. Oddsmakers give the advantage to USA on Friday, but they aren’t quite odds-on favorites yet.
USA vs. France Betting Odds (Friday, 3 p.m. ET)
- To Advance: USA -170, France +145
- USA Moneyline: +115
- France Moneyline: +230
- Draw: +225
- Spread: USA -0.5 (-170)
- Over/Under: 2.5 (u-140)
The earliest lines around the market opened USA -160 to advance and +125 to win in regulation, and so far odds have been increased on both. USA are now listed +115 to win outright and -170 to advance.
USA have won nine straight Women’s World Cup games dating back to 2015 and are unbeaten in 14 straight, both one shy of the all-time record.
France will surely be their most formidable opponents in the tournament, and once the bracket was set these teams were always destined to face-off in the quarterfinal. The last time USA lost a match in any competition was July 2017 against France, a run of 42 straight.
Unfortunately, any player with a previous yellow card in the tournament will be suspended for the semifinal if they receive another on Friday. For USA, that’s Rapinoe, Kelley O’Hara, Lindsey Horan and Allie Long. France will have to worry about cards to Valerie Gauvin and Eugenie Le Sommer.
We’ve tracked more than 75% of bets (both moneyline and spread) on USA in all four group matches so far and there’s no doubt bettors will back them again against France.
Although it’s very early in the week, sharp action has come in on the under (2.5) and caused the juice to move from -125 to -140.
USA vs. France Prop Bets
- As always, Alex Morgan is the +350 favorite to score the first goal of the match. She’s followed by teammate Carli Lloyd (+500), France’s Eugenie Le Sommer (+550) and Valerie Gauvin (+600), and USA’s Megan Rapinoe (+650)
- The most likely scorelines based on the odds are Draw 1-1, USA 1-0, France 1-0, USA 2-1 and USA 2-0
- Both teams to score is listed at -110 odds
- Odds on keeping clean sheet are USA +160, France +225
- A penalty kick to be awarded is available at +180
- A red card to be given is +600
2019 Women’s World Cup Odds
USA and France opened as the +350 co-favorites to win the World Cup and now USA are the clear-cut top team to beat at +125 heading into the quarterfinal. France obviously have the home-field advantage, but USA have the best overall roster.
Netherlands-Japan and Italy-China will meet on Tuesday in the Round of 16 with the winners of those matchups to face off in the quarterfinal on Saturday.
In the other quarterfinal matchups, England takes on Norway on Thursday while Germany faces Sweden on Saturday.