2019 Women’s World Cup Group Odds: USA, France, Germany Are Biggest Favorites
Jeff Curry, USA Today Sports.
- The 2019 Women's World Cup is set to begin on June 7th in France and sportsbooks have begun releasing odds to win each group.
- USA are big -400 favorites to win Group F which consists of Sweden, Chile and Thailand.
- Germany (-850 to win Group B) and France (-450 to win Group A) are the two biggest group favorites.
Group odds for the 2019 Women’s World Cup are now available at many sportsbooks around the betting market with USA, France and Germany the biggest favorites to reach the knockout stage.
The top two teams from each group will advance to the next round along with the four-best third-place teams. The Round of 16 will begin on June 22nd, Quarterfinals on June 27th, Semifinals on July 2nd and Final on July 7th.
- Tournament hosts France are -400 to top Group A and advance to the knockout round.
- Norway striker Ada Hegerberg, the BBC Women’s Football of the Year and first-ever Ballon d’Or Feminin winner, will NOT participate in the 2019 World Cup. She’s still protesting the Norwegian Football Federation and their unequal treatment of women in sport.
- Nigeria are the biggest underdogs to win a group in the entire tournament at 80-1 odds.
- France are the bet here but now that they’ve increased from -225 to -400, the value is all but gone.
- Group B is the most lopsided in terms of the odds as Germany are huge -850 favorites to finish first.
- Spain (7-1) and China (14-1) have the best chance to overtake the Germans while South Africa are 66-1 to pull off the miracle.
- In 2018, the German men’s team was -1500 to win their group and -300 to advance, but they actually finished dead last behind Sweden, Mexico and South Korea. The women’s team will obviously be hoping not to suffer the same fate.
- No team in Group B is the odds-on favorite, and it’ll likely come down to Brazil (+110) or Australia (+120) winning the group.
- Italy are still available at 12-1 odds at some books, but much of the market is down into the 5-1 range, indicating that bettors have been apt to bet the Italians.
- Jamaica’s odds average 66-1 around the market with some books as low as 20-1 and as high as 85-1.
- England opened as -200 favorites to win the group but have actually fallen into the -165 range. Now that odds have come down, I love the value on them at anything better than -180.
- Japan were runners-up to USA in the 2015 World Cup but their odds to win the Cup in 2019 have drifted from 8-1 to 14-1. They’ll be a popular pick to win/advance from Group D, though I think England are decisively better.
- Netherlands and Canada have nearly identical odds to win Group E but New Zealand could surprise people by getting into the knockout stage as a third-place team.
- At plus-money I’m backing Netherlands to top the group, and also think they’re worth a small bet at 15-1 to lift the trophy.
- USA are sizable -350 favorites to win Group F and will be a very trendy pick, but those are still great odds to take. I’d feel fine betting USA to win the group up to a price of -450.
- I’ve also backed USA to win the entire World Cup at +350 odds since they’ll be big favorites to advance at every stage of the tournament. They have the best roster of any team and are deep enough to handle injuries that may come along the way.
This will be the first Women’s World Cup to use video assistant referee (VAR) and overall it was successful for the Men’s World Cup in Russia in 2018.
You can check out odds to win the 2019 Women’s World Cup here, and we’ll be providing betting market updates throughout the tournament.