Oscar Best Cinematography Predictions, Odds: How Power of the Dog Can Upset Dune, Plus Picks For All 2022 Nominees
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Netflix. Pictured: Filmmakers of The Power of the Dog, nominee for Best Cinematography
- Dune is the favorite to win Best Cinematography at the 2022 Oscars tonight in Hollywood.
- Power of the Dog is right behind it, however. Can it pull off the Academy Awards upset?
- Our experts debate the category and make their predictions below.
Updated Best Cinematography Nominees & Odds
|The Power of the Dog||+230||30.3%|
|The Tragedy of Macbeth||+1300||7.14%|
|West Side Story||+2500||3.85%|
|Oscar odds for Best Cinematography nominees via FanDuel and as of March 26.|
Best Cinematography Predictions
Chris Raybon: Dune is expected to ransack the craft categories, but an upset could be brewing here, as 38.5% of Gold Derby editors are on The Power of the Dog. They are joined by 14.3% of experts, which equates to a weighted probability of 26.4%, or +279 odds.
The Tragedy of Macbeth was the tragedy of Denzel Washington choosing another movie where all he does is listen to himself talk, but it did have pretty good cinematography. With a 9.2% weighted probability at Gold Derby, it is also a live longshot.
Again, be sure to using our Hedging Calculator to figure out the optimal way to split your bets based on the odds at your book.
Pick: The Power of the Dog +300 (to +280), The Tragedy of Macbeth +1400 (to +1000)
More 2022 Oscar Predictions
- A Guide To Betting Every Category: Senior editor Collin Whitchurch breaks down his take on every category, including which are worth betting vs. passing.
- Gold Derby Experts vs. the Odds: Senior betting analyst Chris Raybon compares predictions by Gold Derby's experts and editors to the odds in order to identify potential values.
- 5 More Best Bets: Senior betting analyst Collin Wilson reveals his picks for both supporting actor awards, plus Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay.