2019 Women’s World Cup Betting Odds, Preview: USA Faces Toughest Test Yet vs. Sweden
Michael Chow-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: USA’s Christen Press
- USA have clinched a spot in the Round of 16 at the 2019 Women's World Cup but can seal first place in Group F with a win or draw against Sweden on Thursday (3 p.m. ET on FOX).
- Bettors have been keen on USA to earn a victory and have increased from -275 to -375 on the moneyline.
USA have put themselves in firm position to win Group F at the Women’s World Cup with two shutout wins and will seal first place with a win or draw against Sweden on Thursday.
Their opening win in the group match, 13-0 over Thailand, set a World Cup record and set the tone for what to expect from USA this tournament. They followed that up with a 3-0 win against Chile in the second group game which could have been 7-0 or 8-0 if not for the terrific goalkeeping,
Sweden will easily be their toughest opponent thus far but odds still heavily favor the Americans.
USA vs. Sweden Betting Odds
- USA moneyline: -375
- Sweden moneyline: +850
- Draw +425
- Spread: USA -1.5 (-115)
- Over/Under: 2.5 (o-135)
- Thursday, 3 p.m. ET on FOX
This will be a record sixth meeting all-time in the Women’s World Cup between USA and Sweden and all have come in the group stage. USA won the first three meetings but Sweden won in 2011 and drew in 2015.
Both teams have already advanced to the Round of 16 with six points apiece in Group F, but Thursday’s match will settle first and second place.
There’s been no talk or any signs of letting up for the USA and bettors are confident in a victory. Sharp books around the market opened the moneyline as low as -250 and -275 and it was quickly bet up to -375. Some of the square sportsbooks are already into the -400 range with few Sweden bets in sight.
Nearly 90% of all bets have come in on USA and sportsbooks have had no choice but to adjust the moneyline a full dollar since opening.
A first place finish in Group F would set up a Round of 16 matchup against Spain, who finished second in Group B. The way the bracket is set up, France could be USA’s potential opponent in the quarterfinal round.
If USA happen to lose to Sweden and finish second in Group F, they would play the runners-up from Group E (either Netherlands or Canada) in the Round of 16. Germany would be a potential opponent in the quarterfinal.
The path to the final is arguably tougher for the group winner so Thursday’s finale against Sweden isn’t too consequential. Even if USA have made it a priority to play as well as possible, there’s also no pressure on Sweden to get a result which could make them dangerous.
The Pick: Before the tournament I projected USA would be favored around -250 and the value just isn’t there at the current price of -375. I would consider Sweden +1.5 on the goal line (spread) but am more interested in live-betting the match after seeing how the teams approach it.
USA vs. Sweden Prop Bets and Notes
- USA to be winning at halftime is listed at -130 odds.
- USA to win both halves is offered at +175.
- Alex Morgan is the +225 favorite to score the first goal of the match, followed by Carli Lloyd (+350), Christen Press (+400), Megan Rapinoe (+400), Tobin Heath (+450) and Mallory Pugh (+450).
- USA have the 13 best individual odds for first goalscorer of the match before a Swedish player makes the list.
- Carli Lloyd holds the Women’s World Cup record of scoring in six straight appearances and can extend the streak to seven with a goal against Sweden. She’s listed at even money to do so which is a 50/50 chance.
- The most likely scoreline for USA/Sweden based on the odds are USA 2-0, USA 1-0, USA 3-0 and USA 2-1.
- USA are now +175 favorites to win the World Cup after entering the tournament at+350.
- Odds of USA winning the group are up to -1500 but they were offered as low as -350 when the market opened.