MLB All-Star Game Expert Best Bets | Picks for NL vs. AL

MLB All-Star Game Expert Best Bets | Picks for NL vs. AL article feature image

Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images. Pictured: Freddie Freeman and Shohei Ohtani.

MLB All-Star Game Odds

Tuesday, July 11
8 p.m. ET
National League Odds
MoneylineTotalRun Line
-122 / +100
American League Odds
MoneylineTotalRun Line
-122 / +100
Odds via FanDuel. Get up-to-the-minute MLB odds here.

The 2023 MLB All-Star Game is set to take place on Tuesday night at T-Mobile Park (8 p.m. ET on FOX), home of the Seattle Mariners.

There are a number of ways to bet the All-Star Game, including the moneyline, over/under and run line.

Sean Zerillo, Action Network senior writer and the engine that runs our daily projections, breaks down his favorite betting pick for the 2023 MLB All-Star Game between the National League and American League below.

All-Star Game Best Bet

In this All-Star matchup, I project the National League as -102 favorites (50.5% implied odds) and would bet their moneyline at +102 (49.5% implied) or better.

Additionally, I set the total at 7.3 runs and would either bet under 7.5 at plus money or over 7 at plus money. However, I doubt that either price comes into actionable range.

The American League has the pitching advantage. I project their pitchers for a 3.48 Model Weighted ERA compared to 3.62 for the National League — a difference of roughly four percent.

Felix Bautista (1.95 xERA) gives the American League potentially their most significant advantage. The Orioles closer and his absurd 50.9% strikeout rate is a free shutdown inning when needed.

However, the National League has the superior group of position players — especially with voted AL starters Aaron Judge and Mike Trout sidelined by injuries.

Against the same pitching staff, I project the NL hitters for an additional 0.44 runs per game compared to the AL — a difference of 11%.

Additionally, as a group, the American League offense is much more effective against left-handed pitching than righties. The NL only has Josh Hader and Justin Steele as left-handed options out of their 'pen and figure to play matchups with those arms.

Conversely, the American League doesn't have a left-handed pitcher on their staff. They will have difficulty gaining a platoon advantage against NL bench bats like Juan Soto (165 wRC+ vs. righties) and Matt Olson (163 wRC+ vs. righties) in late innings.

Take the NL at plus money. Look for their reserve hitters to be the difference late in this contest.

What is QuickSlip?

QuickSlip is an Action Network feature that allows users to automatically pre-load their bet slip at FanDuel Sportsbook.

The must-have app for MLB bettors

The best MLB betting scoreboard

Free picks from proven pros

Live win probabilities for your bets

How would you rate this article?

This site contains commercial content. We may be compensated for the links provided on this page. The content on this page is for informational purposes only. Action Network makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the information given or the outcome of any game or event.