European Soccer Betting Preview: Projected Odds, Totals for Midweek Premier League, Serie A & Ligue 1 (March 2-4)
PETER POWELL/POOL/AFP via Getty Images. Pictured: Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino.
The European Soccer calendar is jam packed right now. Instead of Champions League and Europa League we have midweek fixtures from the Premier League, Serie A and Ligue 1.
Last weekend was a crazy run of action, and here is a bit of what we saw.
- Manchester City defeated West Ham 2-1 in a top-four clash, bringing their win streak to 20 games and their lead in the Premier League to 12 points.
- Chelsea and Manchester United ended in a 0-0 draw, which extended Manchester City’s lead even further at the top of table.
- Werder Bremen upset Frankfurt at home, which ended Frankfurt’s 11 match unbeaten streak in the Bundesliga.
- RB Leipzig erased a 2-0 halftime deficit against Borussia Monchengladbach to win 3-2 in the final minutes.
- Barcelona defeated Sevilla on the road, 2-0, in a top-four La Liga clash and are now within five points of first-place Atletico Madrid.
- Juventus were held to a 1-1 draw with Verona and are now 10 points behind Inter Milan in the title race.
- AC Milan defeated Roma 2-1 on the road in a top-four Serie A clash.
- Both Lille and Lyon were held to 1-1 draws as heavy favorites, which allowed PSG to move into second place and only two points off the top spot in the table.
With how busy the European soccer calendar is at the moment, managers might be rotating their squads to rest some players. Therefore, it might be a good idea to wait to place a wager until starting lineups come out prior to kickoff.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines, plus follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Premier League Notes
- Liverpool vs. Chelsea: Both teams are on the outside looking in at the top four entering Thursday’s match. Liverpool is on a terrible run of form at home, as they’ve lost four in a row at Anfield and haven’t won there since Dec. 16. Chelsea has completely rebounded under new manager Thomas Tuchel, as they’re unbeaten in his first eight matches in charge and have conceded only two goals. Liverpool got the better of Chelsea earlier this season, winning 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.
Premier League Injury News
- Aston Villa: Matty Cash (RB) and Jack Grealish (LM) are out against Sheffield United.
- Burnley: Robbie Brady (LM) is questionable to play against Leicester. Ashley Barnes (ST) and Johann Gudmundsson (CM) are out.
- Chelsea: Thiago Silva (CB) is out against Liverpool. Callum Hudson-Odoi (RW) is questionable.
- Crystal Palace: Wilfried Zaha (ST), Nathaniel Clyne (RB), James McArthur (CM), Jeffrey Schlupp (LM) and Mamadou Sakho (CB) are out against Manchester United.
- Everton: Yerry Mina (CB) is out against West Brom. Tom Davies (CM) and Seamus Coleman (RB) are questionable.
- Fulham: Tom Cairney (CAM) is out against Tottenham.
- Leicester: Ayoze Perez (RM), James Justin (LB), Harvey Barnes (LM) and Dennis Praet (CAM) are out against Burnley. James Maddison (CAM) and Johnny Evans (CB) are questionable.
- Liverpool: Virgil van Dijk (CB), Jordan Henderson (CM), James Milner (CM), Joël Matip (CB) and Joe Gomez (CB) are out against Chelsea. Diogo Jota (CF) and Fabinho (CM) are questionable.
- Manchester United: Paul Pogba (CM) and Edinson Cavani (ST) are out against Crystal Palace.
- Sheffield United: Sander Berge (CM), Chris Basham (CB), Jayden Bogle (RB), Jack Robinson (CB), John Egan (CB) and Jack O’Connell (CB) are out against Aston Villa.
- Tottenham: Giovani Lo Celso (CM) is out against Fulham.
- Wolves: Daniel Podence (ST), Willy Boly (CB) and Raúl Jiménez (ST) are out against Manchester City.
Serie A Injury News
- AC Milan: Mario Mandzukic (ST) and Ante Rebic (ST) are questionable to play against Udinese. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (ST) and Hakan Calhanoglu (CAM) are out.
- Atalanta: Marten de Roon (CM) is out against Crotone. Duvan Zapata (ST) is questionable.
- Benevento: Federico Barba (LB) is out against Verona.
- Bologna: Aaron Hickey (LB), Larangeria Danilo (CB) and Takehiro Tomiyasu (CB) are out against Lazio.
- Inter: Achraf Hakimi (RM) is out against Genoa.
- Juventus: Alvaro Morata (ST), Paulo Dybala (CF), Juan Cuadrado (RB), Leonardo Bonucci (CB) and Arthur (CM) are questionable to face Spezia. Giorgio Chiellini (CB) is out.
- Lazio: Manuel Lazzari (RM), Luiz Felipe (CB) and Stefan Daniel Radu (CB) are out against Torino.
- Napoli: Kalidou Koulibaly (CB) is out against Sassuolo. Victor Osimhen (ST) and Hirving Lozano (RW) are questionable.
- Parma: Andreas Cornelius (ST) is questionable to play against Inter. Gervinho (ST) is out.
- Roma: Edin Dzeko (ST) is questionable to play against Fiorentina.
- Sassuolo: Vlad Chiriches (CB) and Jeremie Boga (LM) are questionable to play against Napoli.
- Torino: Dealing with COVID-19 outbreak and eight players, including five starters, are questionable to play against Lazio.
- Udinese: Ignacio Pussetto (ST) and Gerard Deulofeu (ST) are out against AC Milan.
Ligue 1 Notes
- Lille vs. Marseille: Lille, the leaders of Ligue 1, are clinging to a two-point lead atop the table with PSG and Lyon right on their heels. Lille has stumbled a bit recently, as they’ve been held to back-to-back draws at home against Brest and Strasbourg. Marseille is having a horrendous season and has won only one of their last 10 matches. Lille desperately needs all three points or PSG may overtake them atop of the table by the end of the week.
Ligue 1 Injury News
- Angers: Rachid Alioui (CM) is questionable to play against Metz.
- Bordeaux: Toma Basic (CM) and Otávio (CDM) are out against PSG.
- Dijon: Didier Ibrahim Ndong (CM) is questionable to play against Brest.
- Lille: Burak Yılmaz (ST) is questionable to play against Marseille.
- Lens: Ignatius Ganago (ST) is questionable to play against Saint Etienne
- Lorient: Jeremy Morel (CB) and Jonathan Delaplace (RB) are questionable to play against Montpellier.
- Lyon: Lucas Paqueta (CM) is out against Rennes.
- Marseille: Jordan Amarvi (LB) and Hiroki Sakai (LB) are out against Lille.
- Metz: Opa Nguette (LW) is questionable to play against Angers. Habib Maiga (CM) is out.
- Monaco: Gelson Martins (RM) is questionable to play against Strasbourg.
- Montpellier: Andy Delort (ST) is questionable to play against Lorient.
- Nantes: Sebastien Corchia (RB) is questionable to play against Reims.
- Nice: Kasper Dolberg (ST), Rony Lopes (RW) and Jeff Reine-Adélaïde (CM) are out against Nimes. Youcef Atal (RB) is questionable.
- Nimes: Lucas Deaux (CM) and Anthony Briancon (CB) are out against Nice.
- PSG: Neymar (CF), Marco Verratti (CM), Alessandro Florenzi (RB), Marco Icardi (ST) and Ángel Di María (RW) are questionable to play against Dijon. Kylian Mbappe (ST) is out.
- Reims: Nathanael Mbuku (RM) is out against Nantes.
- Saint Etienne: Panagiotis Retsos (CB) and Romain Hamouma (ST) are questionable to play against Lens.
- Strasbourg: Ibrahim Sissoko (CM) and Mohamed Simakan (CB) are out against Monaco.