2022 USFL Betting Odds, TV, Rules, Location, Teams, Players to Watch, More
(Photo by: 2018 Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images)
There’s football this weekend, and we can bet on it. Need I say more?
The United States Football League (USFL) launches Saturday.
It’s the first year, with eight teams: Michigan Panthers, Tampa Bay Bandits, New Orleans Breakers, Pittsburgh Maulers, Philadelphia Stars, New Jersey Generals, Birmingham Stallions and Houston Gamblers.
Here are all the key things to know, including location, rules, Week 1 betting spreads and totals, odds to win the USFL title and more.
The league held a two-day draft back in late February to determine rosters. Michigan, which is favored to win the 2022 USFL title, had the first pick.
Where are USFL Games Played?
All 10 weeks of the regular season will be played in Birmingham, Alabama, at Protective Stadium.
Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio, will then host the semifinals and title game
USFL Head Coaches
- Mike Riley – Generals
- Todd Haley – Bandits
- Kevin Sumlin – Gamblers
- Bart Andrus – Stars
- Larry Fedora – Breakers
- Skip Holtz – Stallions
- Kirby Wilson – Maulers
- Jeff Fisher – Michigan Panthers
The last coach to make a pit stop in the NFL was Fisher (2016), with the Rams. Haley notably enjoyed a six-year stint as Steelers OC (2012-’17); Sumlin, meanwhile, was a hot commodity at collegiate ranks across tenures with Houston, Texas A&M and Arizona.
Notable Players in the USFL
- QB Clayton Thorson (Gamblers)
- QB Shea Patterson (Panthers)
- QB Paxton Lynch (Panthers)
- QB Kyle Sloter (Breakers)
- QB Kyle Lauletta (Maulers)
- QB Jordan Ta’amu (Bandits)
- WR Eli Rogers (Bandits)
- WR Taywan Taylor (Breakers)
- LB Christian Sam (Bandits)
How to Stream 2022 USFL Games
The USFL has TV partnerships with FOX, FS1, NBC, USA Network and Peacock.
The league will tinker with a handful of rules for the 2022 season.
- Teams can retain possession after scoring! They can either pull off a successful onside kick from the 25 or a 4th-and-12 attempt from the 33-yard line.
- Play clocks are 35 seconds, five fewer than the NFL.
- After a touchdown, a team has three options: a one-point kick attempt from the 15; a two-point attempt from scrimmage at the two-yard line; or a three-point(!) conversion attempt from the 10.
- In overtime, each team gets three attempts from scrimmage at the two-yard line in a best-of-three format. The team with the most points at the end wins.
USFL Week 1 Betting Odds
Saturday, April 16
New Jersey Generals vs. Birmingham Stallions (-2.5), 41.5
7:30 p.m. ET | Fox, NBC, Peacock
Sunday, April 17
Houston Gamblers vs. Michigan Panthers (-2.5), 42.5
12 p.m. ET | NBC, Peacock
Philadelphia Stars vs. New Orleans Breakers (-2.5), 43.5
4 p.m. ET | USA
Pittsburgh Maulers vs. Tampa Bay Bandits (-5.5), 41.5
8 p.m. ET | FS1
Odds to Win USFL Title
*via BetMGM, as of April 15