Horse Racing Picks: How to Bet Friday’s License Fee Stakes
Photo credit: Streeter Lecka/Getty Images. Pictured: Belmont Park
- Jeremy Pond breaks down his favorite races at Belmont Park on Friday, including the License Fee Stakes.
- Find his betting picks below.
Another solid day of horse racing is on deck, with several marquee cards taking place today at tracks across North America.
We had a nice run of plays Thursday at Belmont Park, and we will maintain our focus on the New York hot spot, where the License Fee Stakes gets center stage on the 10-race schedule.
Here are the highlighted plays at “Big Sandy,” along with numerous multi-race wagers for Woodbine, opening day at Monmouth Park in New Jersey and evening racing at Charles Town.
Let’s take a look.
Race 9 (License Fee Stakes)
Time: 5:36 p.m. ET
My top selection in this $80,000 stakes event, scheduled for six furlongs on the Inner Turf course, is No. 8 Dalika at 5-2 odds.
Trainer Albert Stall Jr. sends out the German-bred and morning-line favorite, who is coming off a win in an Allowance Optional Claiming race back in May at Churchill Downs. Dalika was excellent in that outing, drawing off late to win by two lengths under jockey Joel Rosario. Dalika and Rosario join forces again today and hope for a similar result that occurred in Kentucky.
Dalika has been a model of consistency as of late with her numbers, finishing with an Equibase Speed Figure of 103 or better in her last five races. If she can hit that same number or better here, she will get her fourth victory in 12 lifetime starts.
I am playing Dalika across the board and boxing her with No. 1 Bridlewood Cat (4-1), No. 3 Getmotherarose (6-1) and No. 6 Escapade (9-2) in my exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $5 Win/Place/Show: No. 8 Dalika (5-2) — $15 Ticket
- $4 exacta box wager: 1/3/6/8 — $24 Ticket
- $1 trifecta wager: 1/3/6/8— $24 Ticket
Time: 6:08 p.m. ET
I am backing No. 9 Adios Amigos (5-2) in this $39,000 Claiming event, scheduled for six furlongs on the turf course.
Trainer John Terranova sends out the four-year-old gelding by Adios Charlie, who has finished second twice in five career starts. Jockey Javier Castellano climbs aboard Adios Charlie, who is coming off a solid second-place effort in a maiden claimer back on June 4 at Belmont Park. He was the beaten favorite that day but takes a slight step up in class and makes the switch back to turf in search of that elusive first win.
Adios Charlie hasn’t found much success on the grass in the past, but he was facing much better competition during those appearances in Maiden Special Weight events and gets some deserved class relief against rivals he should be able to handle.
Go with Adios Amigos across the board and box him in your exacta with No. 2 Love Code (8-1), No. 7 Our Troubadour (3-1) and No. 10 Determined One at 10-1 odds. Use Adios Amigos and Our Troubadour on top of your trifecta wager, with the others (along with No. 6 Shandian at 6-1 odds) on the back end of the play.
- $7 Win/Place/Show: No. 9 Adios Amigos (5-2) — $21 Ticket
- $2 exacta wager: 2/7/9/10 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 7/9 over 2/7/9/10 over 2/6/7/9/10— $27 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Belmont Park
- Daily Double (Races 3 and 4): 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 / 7 ($3 Daily Double = $21 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 1,7 / 2,3,4,5,6,7 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 6-7-8): 1,5,7 / 3,6,7,8,11,12 / 1,2,5 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $27 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Monmouth Park
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 4,7,8 / 3,5,7,10 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 4-5-6): 1,2,3,5,6 / 3,4,6 / 3,4,8,9 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Woodbine
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 3,4 / 3,6,7 ($4 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 4): 4,5,6 / 2,3,4,7 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 5-6-7): 1,4,7 / 2,7,9 / 4,5,6,7,8 ($1 Pick 3 = $45 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Charles Town
- Daily Double (Races 4 and 5): 1,2,4,5,7,8 / 3,10 ($2 Daily Double = $24 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 4-5-6): 1,2,4,5,7,8 / 3,10 / 2,34,7 ($1 Pick 3 = $48 Ticket)