Adam Hunger, USA Today Sports. Pictured: Miguel Andujar
Betting odds: Oakland Athletics vs. New York Yankees
- Over/Under: 8
- First Pitch: 8:08 p.m. ET
- Probable Pitchers: Liam Hendriks (0-1, 4.13 ERA) vs. Luis Severino (19-8, 3.39 ERA)
- Regular Season: 102-73-4, +21.35 units
- Postseason: 0-1, -1.25 units
- Yesterday’s Result: Rockies-Cubs Over 7 (loss)
- *Each bet graded as if it were to win 1 unit
There’s really one glaring common denominator between the Athletics and Yankees when they meet in this year’s American League wild-card game.
They can both mash.
Out of all 30 major league clubs, only two ranked in the top five in runs scored, homers and OPS this season: the A’s and the Yanks.
With an MLB-record 267 longballs, the Bronx Bombers obviously finished atop all of baseball in that department, while their 851 runs scored and .781 OPS ranked them second in each category.
Looking up and down this lineup, who can be surprised?